Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2005 9:01am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who is the hot chick on the icon. Sorry can't concentrate on flexibility now. lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2005 11:11am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Imo the best way to warm up for anything is to do the activity at a lighter intensity and build up. If it a light activity such as walking or whatever then no warm up is required.

One thing I have against static stretching before judo is that it reduces power production by 3-5% for the next hour or so. If your muscles are tight and you do need to stretch, I would reccommend dynamic before the workout or session.

My favourite way of improving flexibility is to make your muscles move through their full ROM under load. In other words, when you do BWE (body weight exercises) or weight lifts, go through a full ROM and this will increase your flexibility, rather than decrease it as people have being led to believe from bodybuilders using only a partial ROM. Full ROM good for strength and flexibility, partial ROM will make you stiff.

I've seen a Russian study that suggests that ballistic stretching isn't harmful if you do 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps. However, I'm not sure if the study (or any others available) mentions the usefulness of ballistic stretching or if it can improve flexibility despite the stretch reflex. I'll hunt around, but you can probably get the saem gains from dynamic anyway.

So, to sum up, dynamic to loosen your muscles if they're tight before a session, otherwise no need stretch before.

Using a full ROM in BWe or weight lifts is an excellent way to improve flexilibty.

Static and PNF stretching is best done after a workout, NOT before.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    9/03/2005 11:21am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3-5%? I think I can live with that.

But I do dynamic stretching anyway.

PL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2005 4:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes 3% can mean the difference between winning and losing. In some competitions the difference in skill and fitness levels between the competitors is minute. Anything that can make the slightest difference could helpyou win.

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    9/04/2005 4:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoguy
    One thing I have against static stretching before judo is that it reduces power production by 3-5% for the next hour or so.
    How did you quantify that figure?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2005 6:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There were articles saying that power was reduced and there have been studies done to show this and I remember reading this figure somewhere. It will probably have being a Russian study. I might have got the figure wrong, but the decrease in power production is definately there.

Hooked on Monkey Phonics

Posted On:
    10/17/2005 3:07pm

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is a warm up just to warm up the body? Is sitting in a sauna or jacuzzi just as effective as walking, jogging, or other light activity for a warm up or does the body need the moving and heart pumping for a warm up to be effective?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2005 9:08pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EnaeS
    is a warm up just to warm up the body? Is sitting in a sauna or jacuzzi just as effective as walking, jogging, or other light activity for a warm up or does the body need the moving and heart pumping for a warm up to be effective?
    i am pretty sure that a "warm up" is to get the blood flowing and your muscles ready, not just a body temperature riser

i have a question
    - i have a hip flexor that gives me trouble from time to time, I'm curious what type of stretches you recommend

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 10:05am

Style: Taekwondo/Hapkido/Judo...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There has been recent articles and studies on stretching. It seems that stretching before warming ups or light workout porbably doesn't prevent injury. Not to say that stretching is bad It's still important. Probably stretching after a light warmup to get the blood flow started works best.

Hooked on Monkey Phonics

Posted On:
    10/21/2005 12:27pm

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you had read the thread you would have seen that this was already posted with references to scientific studies
    Last edited by EnaeS; 10/21/2005 12:32pm at .
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast