Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    2/21/2005 3:20pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TBM, how would one go about using the foam roll on these muscles? Like with the calves, assuming you're doing the exercise on yourself, are you, like, sitting in a chair with your foot resting on an elevated surface?

-EDIT-

After some searching, I found this on the site you posted.

http://www.performbetter.com/catalog...FoamRoller.pdf

Is this adequate to know how to do the exercises?

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    2/21/2005 7:24pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please post muscle imbalance corrections, especially lower body, when i squat down i have trouble keeping my shins straight and if i do i have to lean foreward
    I'll go into detail later tonight when I get more time. But for the time being, to answer your question, the most likely muscle that's tight for you is your calves. When you say you have to lean forward, do you mean that your heels come off the ground? Heels off the ground and feet turning outward are the two most common signs of tight calves.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    2/23/2005 6:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master
    As you use a muscle, the fascia or 'sheath' that surrounds the muscle breaks down and develops knots known as adhesions. These adhesions can severely inhibit the extensibility of a muscle. The purpose of SMFR is to break up these adhesions and return the fascia to a normal extensibility.
    TBM, I pulled the muscle in the back of my leg sometime mid last year. Sorry I can't give the name, but it's between my knee and hip, on the back side. It's been really tight ever since, and whenever I stretch it again, it seems to be exceptionally tight. There is some pain, but somehow not quite the same as the pain of a normal stretch.

Is this a candidate for this SMFR treatment? Reading your post, it sounded like maybe this is what I need.

Posted On:
    2/24/2005 2:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SMFR is good for any muscle, any time. Some need it more than others. Can't hurt to try it. By the way, that's your hamstring complex, it consists of the Biceps Femoris, the Semimembranosus, and the Semitendinosus

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    2/24/2005 2:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And yes, that .PDF that Samurai Steve posted is good instruction.

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    2/24/2005 4:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to apologize to everyone for being a bit slow on this topic. I'm really busy at work, usually up at 6am, and not home til 11pm or midnight. I get enough time to provide basic answers, but usually I'm too tired to go into great detail. So, the next major topic post realistically won't be up until the weekend. But in the meantime, keep asking questions, I'll do my best to provide short answers.

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2005 10:40am

Style: Shaolin Kung-fu, FMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll go into detail later tonight when I get more time. But for the time being, to answer your question, the most likely muscle that's tight for you is your calves. When you say you have to lean forward, do you mean that your heels come off the ground? Heels off the ground and feet turning outward are the two most common signs of tight calves.

Then how can you increase calf flexibility besides the basic calf stretches...? Those don't seem to be working. Also, I am ALMOST able to do a split and a straddle, I just need that extra "push." I know someone was asking about splits before and I was curious on the topic too.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    2/24/2005 5:10pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where would you guys like me to go next? Applications of stretching methods? Examples of stretches? Commonly tight muscle groups and their related postural deviations, along with remedies? Or are there other areas you'd like me to cover?
    Yes please, especially the posture. I know that proper posture is important but how can you know/tell what that posture is supposed to be?

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    2/25/2005 6:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SMFR is good for any muscle, any time. Some need it more than others. Can't hurt to try it. By the way, that's your hamstring complex, it consists of the Biceps Femoris, the Semimembranosus, and the Semitendinosus
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TaeBo_Master again.
    Thanks TBM, will give it a shot.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    2/26/2005 3:53am

supporting member
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TBM-
    just a few questions about the PNF stretching.

They are great when done prior to competion, e.g. make you flexible and feel light.
    Now on actual competition day, I am far too busy to go through a proper PNF program.
    For which I use my personal trainer anyway, since he can supervise what I am doing.

So- PNF stretches done the day before a comp - can they still have a positive effect on your flexibility on your comp day? Or would you say that the time in between streching and competing should be pretty short?
    Last edited by AFS; 2/26/2005 4:17am at .
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast