224857 Bullies, 3794 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 4:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGALEF
    Well maybe I asked that question because I myself HAVEN'T done any research on this subject and wanted to know if this was a guy who knew his ****. I completely missed the "Certified Fitness Trainer" and it's authentic colour coding and for that I humbly apoligize to mr TaeBo and his family.
    I'm new, ok?
    We always go light on the first time.

Your caning will commence at 1800.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 5:55pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    Not to mention that along with questionable reading comprehension skills, anyone who has done any type of research would see TaeBo Master has the correct.

And has t3h s3xy!
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 6:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, next subject: Self Myofascial Release. This is a subject of flexibility that's pretty unknown in the community at large.

SMFR is basically like giving yourself a deep tissue massage with the purpose of enhancing flexibility. It's also known as 'foam rolling'. As you use a muscle, the fascia or 'sheath' that surrounds the muscle breaks down and develops knots known as adhesions. These adhesions can severely inhibit the extensibility of a muscle. The purpose of SMFR is to break up these adhesions and return the fascia to a normal extensibility.
    Disclaimer: SMFR can be fairly painful at first, especially on the IT band and Tensor Fascia Latae. Also, when done right, at first it's probably going to take a long time to do everything. But as time goes on, you'll have fewer adhesions and less severe ones, so the pain will decrease, as will the time spent.

Equipment needed: 1 stiff foam roll, available at www.performbetter.com (for high quality)

How to do it: On the foam roll, place pressure on the muscle just above one of the joints it attaches to (never put pressure directly on the joint). Place as much pressure as is tolerable, and start to roll along the muscle slowly, at the rate of about 1 inch per second. When you come across a tender spot, this is an adhesion. Stop moving and leave pressure on the tender spot. After a bit, you will feel it break up and the tenderness will suddenly decrease by 75-100%. This usually takes 30-45 seconds. Once you've finished with that adhesion, continue rolling slowly until you find the next one.

This can be done for any muscle, but some are more practical than others. The commonly done muscles are as follows: Calves, Hamstrings, Piriformis, IT Band / TFL (most painful of all), Quadriceps, Lats, Thoracic Spinal Erectors.

SMFR is best done at the very very start of a workout, before you even do your general cardio warmup, and then repeated at the very very end as the last part of your cool down.

Take my advice and try it. It's amazing how effective it is, and believe me, once you start doing it, you'll get hooked. After a little while, it feels incredible, like I said - it's like giving yourself a deep tissue massage.

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 10:39pm

Style: tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cool stuff.. thanks tbm .. i had a deep tissue massage done on my it band before when i went to a therapist.. that **** hurts like crazy!! :icon_cry: .. but i it's hard to do it to myself since i stopped going, and it reverted back to being inflexible and painfully tight, so the roller thing is a good idea.. hm, besides on that website do u know of any stores that might sell a foam roll .. or any suggestions of what i might be able to use instead of one.. hmm .. lol do u think a rolling pin(the thing u use to make dough) with some padding on it might work? :tongue3:
    thank you!

Posted On:
    2/21/2005 2:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright.... any more suggestions on the next topic to be covered?

- The Wastrel

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    2/21/2005 3:15am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do I stretch for splits?

Posted On:
    2/21/2005 3:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do you WANT to do splits?

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2005 5:16am

Style: Shadowboxing =/

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please post muscle imbalance corrections, especially lower body, when i squat down i have trouble keeping my shins straight and if i do i have to lean foreward

what's my imbalance and how do i correct it?

SMFR sounds like ART active release treatment
    breaking up of scartissue inhibitting flexibility
    i went to a chriopractor that did this for my tendon behind the lateral head and it was sort of a good pain

it was like: we would go through the full range of flexibility but while rubbing the tendon

I found it helped alot

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    2/21/2005 12:05pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the deadly taekwondo sidekicks to Kareem Abdul Jabbar's head..
    No seriously. I'm kinda into gymnastics and have always wanted to be able to do a split.

Also, could you describe a good stretch for the back?

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    2/21/2005 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dkkd
    Please post muscle imbalance corrections, especially lower body, when i squat down i have trouble keeping my shins straight and if i do i have to lean foreward

what's my imbalance and how do i correct it?
    Your imbalance is when you don't keep your centre of mass between your feet by leaning your shins or back forward as you squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast