On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    2/18/2005 5:15am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master
    Where would you guys like me to go next? Applications of stretching methods? Examples of stretches? Commonly tight muscle groups and their related postural deviations, along with remedies? Or are there other areas you'd like me to cover?
    If you've got time could you do 'Why is dynamic stretching different to bouncing?'
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    2/18/2005 5:31am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A basic stretching routine would be impossible to post. The reason being that everyone's flexibility needs are different. It depends on your personal muscle imbalances, your goals, and your experience level. What I could do is post a piece on common muscle imbalances and how to remedy them, or if you want to give me more time and go into more detail... I could post a fairly extensive flexibility assessment and related stretches.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    2/18/2005 5:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The difference between dynamic stretching and bouncing:

In a dynamic stretch you're moving the joint through it's entire range of motion, from full extension to full flexion, and trying to add a little bit of range at the end of each.

In a ballistic or bouncing stretch, you start the stretch in the fully stretched position, and then bounce it a little bit deeper, then returning to your starting point. The stretch never leaves a stretched position, and doesn't incorporate a full range of motion.

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    2/18/2005 5:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And ronin you bastard.... I made this thread at your request, and have gotten many reps for it (but keep em coming guys!).... but you yourself haven't repped me yet. What's the deal?

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    2/18/2005 5:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I were not vanquished from your presence for all eternity, I would ask for an example (picture if possible) of a dynamic stretch, because I still have trouble figuring it out.
    Last edited by Lights Out; 2/18/2005 5:43am at . Reason: Typo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2005 5:54am

Style: Shaolin, Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you post your own stretching routine at least as an example? And also, if doing splits is not a part of your goals, then what other stretching goals do you have? Like putting both legs behind your head or something? :D

Posted On:
    2/18/2005 5:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, let me give you a verbal example (no pictures easily available, and I'm heading to bed). The best one I can think of is any kind of kick. Let's use a stretch kick (basically, leg stays straight, swing it out in front of you as high as possible). Now, let's say your flexibility allows you to kick up to hip level. You start out standing, kick up to hip level. Bring the foot back without putting it on the ground, swinging it behind you just a little bit. Then you kick up and bring it an inch above hip level. Then back again. Then two inches above hip level. Etc.

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    2/18/2005 5:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you post your own stretching routine at least as an example? And also, if doing splits is not a part of your goals, then what other stretching goals do you have? Like putting both legs behind your head or something? :D
    Currently, my stretching routine only deals with my muscle imbalances. Mostly calves, a little bit of adductors, and that's about it.

You seem surprised that doing the splits is not one of my goals. Why the hell would it be? There's little functional value in being able to do the splits, unless you want to show off or something. My training is functional in nature, flexibility included. This means I simply want to be flexible enough to kick as high as I feel necessary, and otherwise move my joints in the range of motion that's applicable to the way I fight.

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    2/18/2005 6:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much.

Can it be done safely with different kinds of kicks, like roundhouses?

Posted On:
    2/18/2005 6:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as it's very gradual, yes. The purpose is primarily to teach the nervous system that a new range of motion beyond what it's used to is safe. So don't push it. There will come a point where you can't get any higher. When you reach this point, exercise something, do some static or PNF stretching, try again. If you still can't get any higher, then you're done for the day and try again later.

- The Wastrel
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast