Our Sponsors:

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/29/2013 6:14pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Though almost entirely unimportant, I feel the need to correct something I've said. In the short term, stretching does increase tissue extensibility. However, in the long term increases in flexibility are almost entirely to do with tolerance to stretch.

You can argue all day if the short term increase in extensibility matters for something like a warm up. I'm not convinced it does.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2013 10:19am

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I will never stretch during a warm-ups, but have found stretching in unrelated times to be pleasant and beneficial. I have naturally flexible shoulders and stretching them means some submissions literally don't work on me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/01/2013 11:15am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz View Post
    Though almost entirely unimportant, I feel the need to correct something I've said. In the short term, stretching does increase tissue extensibility. However, in the long term increases in flexibility are almost entirely to do with tolerance to stretch.

You can argue all day if the short term increase in extensibility matters for something like a warm up. I'm not convinced it does.
    Doesn't it matter though?

Wouldn't some mobility work before squatting heavy enable better depth with better form?

And then stretching for time after done with training.

Or did I misunderstand you?

Posted On:
    7/01/2013 2:17pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Doesn't it matter though?

Wouldn't some mobility work before squatting heavy enable better depth with better form?

And then stretching for time after done with training.

Or did I misunderstand you?
    I can think of times when the mechanism of increased flexibility might be important before exercise, but it wouldn't be common. I'd think it matters in cases where someone has some sort of appropriately diagnosed laxity, so that they shouldn't stretch before an exercise where they're trying to have maximum motor control.

Otherwise does it really matter much if the stretch before your squat changes extensibility temporarily? Warm up in whatever way helps you achieve your goals. Stretching isn't wrong, but I doubt it's mandatory.

The long term changes in flexibility are still neurally modulated, so if the goal is to increase flexibility the target must be the nervous system. Cranking on a stretch until it hurts intuitively seems more threatening to a system that prefer homeostasis. Gentle introduction of novel stimulus in a relaxed context seems more likely to coax your system into flexibility. That sounds an awful lot like yoga, feldenkrais, tai chi, etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2013 7:06pm

Style: JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    question for TBM, man thanks for creating this thread lots of good knowledge I've gained, according to what I've learned so far I bought myself a foam roller for Self Myofascial Release, I wanna know if you have some source that gives a good routine or basic to advance routine as to how to do it. The one I got brought a DVD but I want something more aimed to pursue flexibility for fighting as a Judoka or anything related to it. Anyways the PDF document that one of the guys linked here is not available anymore and i found this site but I want your opinion on this. You & Bullshido have been so far my only reliable source.

This is the site
    http://www.bodyspex.com/Exercises.as...seArticleID=11
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314