Page 13 of 14 First ... 391011121314 Last
    Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeeez, talk about a blast from the past.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No kidding. I must say I'm rather pleased with that fact though. That being said, I'd be happy to revive the discussion here, update it further or whatever. Or do something similar for other physical training topics. I may have been gone a while, but in that time I've only been getting better.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does stretching too much stunt your growth? How much would be overstretching? (I'm assuming it does because most gymnasts are TINY)

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Does stretching too much stunt your growth?
    No, it does not stunt your growth.

How much would be overstretching?
    Depends on the person and what their training goals are. A good rule of thumb: if it hurts during or causes more pain to the area after stretching, you've overstretched. If your hyper-flexibility reduces the stability of the joint, your overstretching.

(I'm assuming it does because most gymnasts are TINY)
    Nope.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is one of the best videos on stretching i've seen to date, if only for how he uses mechanical engineering jargon.

Many (most?) PTs, MTs, Chiros, coaches etc are not doing this and i think it really hinders meaningful discussion.

Discussing properties of muscles and movement in those terms is much more clear than what is commonplace now.

It's a little long and most of it is terminology discussion, but it's really worthwhile, methinks.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watched the whole thing very interesting thanks, man.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's always good to hear someone talking rationally about stretching.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For those who care to read research: http://ptjournal.apta.org/content/90/3/438.long

I've seen the above video before and I think it's very good as far as stretching goes. I would question why the presenter assumes that tissue creep happens at all in such short time frames when it's already been demonstrated that stretching's greatist influence is on tolerance to stretch unless you are talking about low-load long duration stretching.

It would seem like this is splitting hairs, but when people talk about increasing actual extensibility of a tissue or "correcting muscle imbalances" this sort of thing will inform your actions.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz View Post
    For those who care to read research: http://ptjournal.apta.org/content/90/3/438.long

I've seen the above video before and I think it's very good as far as stretching goes. I would question why the presenter assumes that tissue creep happens at all in such short time frames when it's already been demonstrated that stretching's greatist influence is on tolerance to stretch unless you are talking about low-load long duration stretching.

It would seem like this is splitting hairs, but when people talk about increasing actual extensibility of a tissue or "correcting muscle imbalances" this sort of thing will inform your actions.
    Agreed.
    He also doesn't bother much with velocity as it pertains to ROM and the muscle as a damper.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope this thread comes back to life There are tons of questions I want to make to TBM

Page 13 of 14 First ... 391011121314 Last