Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, nobody reads Phrost's posts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 7:37am

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For a while I thought I understoof PNF stretching after reading Pavel's stuff, but now I don't think I understand it at all. Something about tensing the muscle being stretched consciously, briefly inhibiting it's reflexive tension when you relax it? I know it's the opposite of the 'pink panther' thing for static-active stretching since that tenses the muscle opposite to the one being stretched.

Quote Originally Posted by AthleticGirl
    I remember when I was in college and one of my professors saying that losing flexibility is what causes physical aging problems, which made sense at the time because it was explained that if you watch some elderly people walk you can see severe inflexibility in the legs causing them to go slow and take small steps. In my own research I found that it isn't inflexibility so much thats the problem, but loss of muscular strength. As muscular strength is lost, range of motion is decreased due to lack of use (which also cause many of the so-called age related injuries, but that is another subject), and it can be logically inferred that as mobility is lost other ailments also begin to happen including cardiovascular diseases, osteoporosis and others. What's even worse is when these elderly people find it too hard to even walk and are forced (or horribly recommended) to rid in one of those motorized carts in place of walking, which speeds such diseases and can lead to other problems, usually leading up to death.

This is just somthing I thought would be an informational add on to the topic.
    Neither atrophy of muscle nor a lack of regular problems causes the problem of aging. Aging (it's been broken down into about 6 observed aspects, SENS) makes doing these much harder. It is true that problems related to a lack of activity (be it strength or flexibility) are ASSOCIATED with ageing, but they really aren't ageing at all. They're simply a lack of fitness. Fitness is something that becomes progressively harder as you get older, because your body accumulates entropy and doesn't function as well. Fleeing from exercise isn't always the best, but it's certainly nothing to blame old people for, because they are sick due to their mental and physical stresses. Some need help to saddle up. Exercise is also not an adequa perscription for ageing. If so, someone who was constantly strengthening, stretching and sleeping would live forever. The body's system never evolved the capacity for that, technology must intervene.
    Last edited by tyciol; 1/02/2008 7:45am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2008 5:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Freestyle/WC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So which stretch would i need to improve the kick and hold height for a side kick?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2008 1:21am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great info Tae Bo master.
    I have problems with kicking high with the roundhouse (and I have been trying for almost a decade now) My form is OK up till waist level. Once I go above that, my `butt sticks out`. I should put my hip into the kick but at a certain hight my butt goes the opposite direction and it becomes only a `leg` kick instead of a `whole body` kick. I am not flexible but I can not figure out what the main reason is? Which muscles are not working with me? Thx

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 1:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tyciol

Neither atrophy of muscle nor a lack of regular problems causes the problem of aging. Aging (it's been broken down into about 6 observed aspects, SENS) makes doing these much harder. It is true that problems related to a lack of activity (be it strength or flexibility) are ASSOCIATED with ageing, but they really aren't ageing at all. They're simply a lack of fitness. Fitness is something that becomes progressively harder as you get older, because your body accumulates entropy and doesn't function as well. Fleeing from exercise isn't always the best, but it's certainly nothing to blame old people for, because they are sick due to their mental and physical stresses. Some need help to saddle up. Exercise is also not an adequa perscription for ageing. If so, someone who was constantly strengthening, stretching and sleeping would live forever. The body's system never evolved the capacity for that, technology must intervene.
    Sarcopenia is the progressive loss of muscle strength in the elderly that extends beyond the expected loss of strength due to atrophy. That is, muscles get smaller as you age, but get even weaker than they normally would be for that size.

There are many biological defects in muscle that begin to accumulate with age, some of which may be reparable with pharmacuetical treatment.

Excercise, however, is far and away the best thing one can do to stave off these declines in function. There are an endless number of studies lauding the extreme benefits of excercise in aged organisms.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/20/2008 8:16am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KickAssGuy
    So which stretch would i need to improve the kick and hold height for a side kick?
    Dynamic stretching combined with passive-active stretching. Flexibility is only one part of the equation, though.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    11/06/2009 3:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a good book or DVD about stretching and flexibility? I haven't read all pages in the thread. I'm basically looking for a complete system that helps all my bodyparts become flexible.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/05/2011 3:34am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, this thread kept going for quite a while after I left.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/05/2011 8:10am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy ****, welcome back man
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/05/2011 11:12am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Many thanks. It's been what... about 5 years? I've been re-reading some of my old threads and posts. Wow I missed this place.
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314 LastLast