Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers PirateJon :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 3:26am

Style: Crosstraining/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good info on this thread! I'd also like to mention Active Isolated Stretching as something to consider. Have had some great results with it! www.stretchingusa.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 11:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're just trying to maintain flexibility, then static stretching is fine, with only 10 seconds per stretch, three times each is enough to prevent problems. The best time is after a workout, since the muscles are pre-exhausted as well, otherwise it becomes more of an eccentric exercise.

Increasing flexbility, meanwhile, is another story; for this, PNF stretching is best, but this is more intense and carries more risk.
    Last edited by kungfu2u; 7/15/2007 11:34pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2007 11:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mingusdew
    How would one manage or correct an instance of Anterior Pelvic Tilt, and would lower back pain be consistent with this? I have a lot of lower back pain and the description of Anterior Pelvic Tilt seems consistent with my posture. I'd like to figure out some exercises or stretches to correct this...
    If I understand you correctly, this is the result of distended lower abs; this is common due to lack of proper strengthening of this area, which is much stronger than the upper abs and hence needs to be trained first. It basically results from adaptive shortening of the erector spinae muscles of the lower back due to the training-imbalance, thus permanently hyperextending the lower back and "tilting" the pelvis.

I recommend Health For Life's "Legendary Abs" course, which train the lower abs first via hanging and lying leg-raises, drawing the pelvis toward the chest; however I also recommend tightening the transversus muscle (i.e. "sucking in your gut") while performing this to prevent distenstion of that area as well. "Crunch sit-ups" mainly work only the upper abs, and so are prescribed only be used after this in that program.

Once your lower abs are properly strengthened and toned, it should draw your pelvis back into position; for this reason it's also important to stretch your lower back regularly after a workout.

Whatever you do, don't go to a chiropractor over it for an "adjustment," which is basically to charge you money to do what your own muscles should be doing, i.e. holding your bones in position; while they can stretch the muscles and tendons for you, they can't tone the antagonists; also you can stretch them better yourself.
    Last edited by kungfu2u; 7/15/2007 11:37pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2007 11:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashe
    Good info on this thread! I'd also like to mention Active Isolated Stretching as something to consider. Have had some great results with it! www.stretchingusa.com
    Isolated stretching is essential, to avoid overstretching the weaker muscles; for example the common "standing hamstring stretch" is very bad because it 1) stretches the lower back more than the hams, and 2) requires tensing the hams in order to stand, thereby tearing them in order to stretch.
    Better to isolate them in a seated single-leg stretch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 3:15pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of stretches should I do to recover from the soreness the day after doing squats/leg work? In particular, I'm not sure how to stretch out the glutes. I also don't know how many times a day it's safe to stretch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 7:05pm

Style: Krav Maga, Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sink into it

Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    You "tense" the muscle as if you were doing a maximun effort.
    I was always told to "sink into the stretch", now I can do a full split.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 10:47pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can we sticky this thread? I don't to look for it every time I want spread my legs apart.

Hot damn I'm dirty.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2008 9:14am

Style: Krav Maga, Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF do I know, just quoting a local sifu...

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/01/2008 10:51am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    Can we sticky this thread? I don't to look for it every time I want spread my legs apart.

Hot damn I'm dirty.
    Dude, the thread is listed in the main sticky :eusa_doh:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314 LastLast