Sponsored Links Spacer Image

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you guys have forgot that Rickson is too deadly for the ring.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 4:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rickson is pretty old man. Why would he fight when its his job to teach now? If Randy or any of the others top guys could make as much money teaching seminars they would do the same thing. They cant teach as well as he can so that avenue is closed to them.

Rickson beat Funaki but his style is very different than what you see today and its partially because he trains for a different set of rules than is used in todays sport MMA.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 5:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rickson's decision not to compete anymore has a lot to do with the death of his son, from what I was told.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 5:09pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard the same.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 5:12pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rockson's death really took it out of him, by all reports, yeah.

Rickson makes me sad. I think he's great fighter and was a great rep for the Gracies. But now he's NEVER going to get past the "I only fight creampuffs" thing. It's too bad.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 5:44pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd heard all the hype, but only in the last week did I bother really investigating him. I watched Choke and Gracies in Action 1 and 2. I recommend them all.

Rickson was something else...

Omar, the fight with Zulu was pretty tough I'd imagine... Zulu was much bigger and heavier than him.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 6:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could be wrong, but I would think that the fact that he probably doesn't want to put his 400+ and 0 record on the line may have something to do with it

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 6:53pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    at the time that rickson fought funaki, most would have said funaki was top 5. after rickson put him to sleep everyone said that funaki was way past his prime and was old and this and that, but in all reality rickson was 40 and funaki was 32. Even funaki himself said that he lost and that he had underestimated rickson. now rickson ad couture well couture would win by tko, rickson and sak id go with rickson by decision. id say that rockson death did a number on him as it would have anyone, althouhg i doubt he said he wouldnt fight anymore because of his death i could only imagine the discraction it has been. id love to see him fight one more time so all these mma noobs can stop talking about how rickson only fought cream puffs, fact is the guy fought the best there was at the time its not his fault he was mile ahead of all the compitition. most of the guys he fought were to stubborn to admit they had no ground game and that they would have to x-train to be better and as such down the road with the new generation of mma fighters x-training they made rickson comp look like crap.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 8:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    damn- rickson must have been really young when he had kids if hes only like 44 now

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 8:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    I must admit, Im a Rickson fan, but it wouldnt look very good if he fought Sakuraba now- not as good as he *could* have when Sak was on top of the world. He was the top middleweight, and defeated 4 Gracies. Had Rickson fought and defeated him THEN I think you'd find less people badgering him for not fighting good fighters.

Look at Sak now- KO'ed by Silva 3 x, and defeated by BJJ fighters Nino Schembri and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. Certainly nothing to be ashamed of, but he hardly looks superhuman now.
    Sak striking abilities suck. But he did beat the Gracies who at one time were believed to be untouchible. So that presidence was set.
    Ghost of Charles Dickens
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast