Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/24/2003 8:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The one i have experience in is the WJJF in Lisburn, Northern Ireland... complete and utter bollucks.
    Kirves, it sounds liek you;re just taking a MMA which is more JKD like than submission fighting like: But if it covers all ranges with thos esorts of arts it's mainly MMA (especially if you have BJJ/Submission wrestling in there too..)
    It sounds good.

clips won't work for me...neither will the site...

nearest thing I;ve done is Japanese jiujitsu and kempo - neither were very good - some decent ideas but overall they were pretty poor - none of the moves working very well if at all..
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2003 4:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kirves, it sounds liek you;re just taking a MMA which is more JKD like than submission fighting like
    Yeah, well, it derives mostly from Juko-ryu Jujutsu, Karate (Kyokushin) and Judo. Those are the main sources of stuff. And it usually has bareknuckle full contact instead of protective gear sparring, this is the reason why face punches aren't allowed in the common sparring.

clips won't work for me...neither will the site...
    The clips take a (long) while to load, so I suggest you right-click on the link and choose "save as" so you'll see the progress of the download and don't have to look at a blank explorer screen wondering if anything is going to appear at all.

nearest thing I;ve done is Japanese jiujitsu and kempo
    The nearest thing I have found to the Finnish Hokutoryu style is actually the stuff Marco Lala teaches on his videos. I have several of his videos and they are right on usable for me. Maybe because he himself is mixing Kyokushin Karate, Judo and Jujutsu...

Edited by - Kirves on February 25 2003 03:35:17

Posted On:
    3/10/2003 12:26pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "nearest thing I;ve done is Japanese jiujitsu and kempo - neither were very good - some decent ideas but overall they were pretty poor - none of the moves working very well if at all.."

hehehhe, Kempo? i'm surprise...oh well

thanks for the links-Canada needs it's own Gracie imo

--
    I attack flurriously!
    It smells like teen spirit.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    3/10/2003 7:32pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you ever run into a style called Mijindo-Ryu JJ, don't even bother. It's pretty bad. Not YellowBamboo bad, but definitely not something to put time and/or money into.

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2003 6:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The main problem with modern jujutsu is that because REAL trad jujutsu is so rare most modern jujutsu is a freestyle slopply taught version of half learnt techniques, there are some good modern stles about, but there from people who learnt a original style well then developed it, such as the gracies etc...

game dog

Posted On:
    3/21/2003 7:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can say a little about the Ju-Jutsu that is commonly taught in Germany, which was a blend of Judo, Karate, Aikido and a couple of other styles devised in the late 60s (I think) as a method of self-defense for the police, border guard and other units. The choice of techniques is eclectic (as is to be expected), and has apparently undergone several updates in the last decades.

Sparring is encouraged and part of the belt-test curriculum starting with the yellow belt, in different stages of difficulty
    (open-handed, fists, throws + groundwork, fists+legs, fists+legs+throws etc.).

There are tournaments with rules compatible with international Jiu-Jitsu tournaments - no contact to the head, medium contact to the body, kicks above waist level. Points are awarded for strikes and kicks, throws, pins, and submissions. Winning is either by points or by scoring Ippon on each of the three ranges: striking, throwing, ground.

All in all it's pretty good stuff - the weakness is possibly the lack of focus; it includes too much to really learn anything in detail in reasonable time.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    3/22/2003 2:30am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BDR,

Where in Germany are you?

You must be talkin bout the JJ 2000 program the have here. Very electic feel to it.

Prior to the end of 2000 there was more of a tradional feel except that the students were encouraged to create their own kata as a training method not just throwing a bunch of techniques together. For instance if you did a throw you had to follow up and explain WHY you did what you did.

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!!
    THE TRUE FIST OF THE NORTHSTAR!!

Edited by - Asia on March 22 2003 01:33:26
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    3/22/2003 2:04pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    create your own kata? that sounds kinda cool
    kinda like advanced students with their own combos

this would further the understanding of the art i believe

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.
    No brain, no gain.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

game dog

Posted On:
    3/23/2003 4:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Asia - I was in Wuerzburg (northern Bavaria). Recently moved to the US, forgot to update my profile. I haven't heard about JJ2000 - what I was talking about was the Deutscher Ju-Jutsu-Verband ( http://www.ju-jutsu-net.de ).
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123