One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 8:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about tai chi as a warm up?
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.
  2. 9chambers

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 9:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool. So, it's okay to stretch for 5 min after every workout. I ususally stick to the muscles I used in that workout.

Sometimes, I do a thorough stretching routine on Sundays. Not every week, just now and then. Like, first do some jump rope sets or some short sprints and crunches to warm up and then relax and go through all the stretches for the entire body. I've tried some Yoga stuff out -- just for the heck of it. Is this an okay strategy?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 12:24am

Style: tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PO9
    For example, start a front leg swing (like a front kick without the snap), start with a few swing to about knee height, then increase to about thigh height, then to waist and son.
    Do the same thing with crescent kick motions and back kicks.
    ya those dynamic stretches are good.. but whether or not u have great flexibility ,before u do dynamic stretches cold do everything (front, outside/inside crescents) with your knees bent and then straighten the leg not to screw up your joints.. knees bent warms up and loosens your joints and prevents any hip/knee injuries .. and since your joints are warmed up it'll be easier to increase the hight faster without damage..

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 2:54am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually there has been only one study ever performed and published that compared ballistic stretching to static stretching. It was published in Research Quarterly about 3 or 4 years ago. The authors found that static stretching causes as much or more muscle damage than ballistic stretching did.

The whole static versus ballistic thing is basically dogma that has been passed down by doctors, PT's and coaches that no one ever questioned.

There is alot of this type of stuff out there!

Active warm-up prior to activity and static or ballistic stretching after activity and you should be fine. I use static after I train or exercise myself because I use it as part of my cool down and I am looking for something less intense. But that's just me!

Later,

Jason
    The reason that ballistic stretching is more damaging is due to the stretch reflex.

The Stretch Reflex - When a muscle is stretched, the muscle spindle senses that the fibers are getting pulled, and automatically starts causing a contraction, to keep the muscle from over extending. If you hold a stretch (static), then after usually 20-30 seconds, the Golgi Tendon Organ senses that the muscle is safe, and overrides the muscle spindle. This is why after you hold a stretch for a while, you either feel the tension decrease, or you can increase your ROM some.

Now, when you do ballistic stretching, you're not holding the stretched position long enough to allow the GTO to override the muscle spindle. So the muscle spindle is still contracting the muscle while you're consciously bouncing it into a deeper stretch. This causes muscle tears.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 8:17am

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master
    The reason that ballistic stretching is more damaging is due to the stretch reflex.

The Stretch Reflex - When a muscle is stretched, the muscle spindle senses that the fibers are getting pulled, and automatically starts causing a contraction, to keep the muscle from over extending. If you hold a stretch (static), then after usually 20-30 seconds, the Golgi Tendon Organ senses that the muscle is safe, and overrides the muscle spindle. This is why after you hold a stretch for a while, you either feel the tension decrease, or you can increase your ROM some.

Now, when you do ballistic stretching, you're not holding the stretched position long enough to allow the GTO to override the muscle spindle. So the muscle spindle is still contracting the muscle while you're consciously bouncing it into a deeper stretch. This causes muscle tears.
    That is the general consensus as to what SHOULD happen but it is not the actual result. If you are interested in seeing the study I mentioned earlier, feel free to PM me and I will get it to you since you have an interest.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 2:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you could post them on here that would be great. The last few months I've been stretching my groin whenever I can by sitting down and pushing my knees down, is this bad? Also before Jiu Jitsu starts I tend to stretch a couple of muscles, have an intense warm up and then proceed with the class. I try to strech after class but do not always have the chance. Should I try to stretch every time?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Buddy, most of those posters don't even come here anymore. This is a 5 year old thread.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 2:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please excuse my ignorance. For some reason the thread appeared at the top of the physical training forum and I assumed it was recent. Having said that what do you think of my questions? Sorry for reviving a dead thread.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 5:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
    If you could post them on here that would be great. The last few months I've been stretching my groin whenever I can by sitting down and pushing my knees down, is this bad? Also before Jiu Jitsu starts I tend to stretch a couple of muscles, have an intense warm up and then proceed with the class. I try to strech after class but do not always have the chance. Should I try to stretch every time?
    dynamic stretching is much better than static, although before any jiu jitsu I stretch my abs, lower back, and my shoulders, I also like to stretch my glutes by doing the pigeon(yoga tech) It helps my flexibility while in the guard, sometimes I don't even have to pull my foot to much to get it around his neck. But, don't over do it.
    I highly recommend waiting to do static stretching after your workout, or when you wake up in the morning/before bed.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234