Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 2:34am

Style: BJJ, striking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Increasing flexibility

As a beginner in MA (and 29) one of the things I'm finding is a complete reduction in flexibility from say...oh, 10 years ago. When it comes to flexibility for front kicks/push kicks/etc I'm ok but any sort of side kick (where abduction from the hip is required) is essentially knee to hip level at best...

This also comes into play anytime I'm trying to go into a mount as my hips just do NOT want to spread.

Any advice for a newb?

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 6:18am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Use search function?

Stretching and warming up = waste of time - No BS MMA and Martial Arts (though I managed to write dynamic when I meant static in the first post).

Basically, as an old fart who managed to kick uke in the face last night, I don't ever do static stretches. I do a lot of dynamic streching. Hold-the-position stretching is only for after workout, or in the steam room, static stretching weakens and increases injuries if done wrong, or before hard workouts.

Bend body away from target with back and side kicks. As I was telling the fucking n00bs last night, don't arch your back, look down your side or under your arm at your target with back and spinning back/side kicks. HUNCH OVER! HEAD DOWN! It seems like the same old lesson that is SO hard for them to hear.

Make your side kick with the hip turned kinda back kick position. Never do a side kick directly sideways, you'll **** up your hip joints, unless you are a 14 year old gymnast.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 6:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PNF stretching has been proven to actually increase flexibility as opposed to just get you limbered up to your natural level.
    Here is a list of exercises and stretches for the hips
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/HipsWt.html

here is the PNF stretch
    http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Gluteu...PNFSeated.html

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 6:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's unpopular now, but I am a big believer in static stretching actually; it's just not a warmup tool.

I think a person can gain some flexibility with dynamic (motion) stretches when they're new to training (because they're new and at their stiffest having never done much of anything for their flexibility before), but I do not believe they will reach their potential without a hefty dose of static stretching. (OTOH it's easier to maintain flexibility than it is toe increase it. I don't doubt Fug or someone else can maintain for the most part what they've got without static stretching.)

For the sake of context, I had horrendous (i.e. just barely able to kick belt level, which is pretty fucking shitty when you're young) flexibility when I started MA, but I can do full splits in either direction at 32.

OP if you want to increase flexibility, the most important thing to do is simple: stretch at home several times a week. You don't need fancy equipment, dvds telling you the secrets, etc. etc. You just need to do your stretches, probably the same ones you do in class, several times a week in your off-time and you will see a ton of improvement as the months go by.

Personally, I recommend this formula, but YMMV: rotate your joints, warm up (the older/stiffer you are the sweatier you should be), then dynamic stretching to pre-stretch the same muscles you're going to static stretch (i.e. if you're going to do front and side splits, you can do front/side/rear leg swings). Then do your static stretches for at least 15 minutes. If it's a training day, stick around for 15 minutes after class and do your static stretches while you're already warmed up & loose.
    Last edited by maofas; 10/21/2010 7:04am at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 6:54am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Turrry View Post
    As a beginner in MA (and 29) one of the things I'm finding is a complete reduction in flexibility from say...oh, 10 years ago. When it comes to flexibility for front kicks/push kicks/etc I'm ok but any sort of side kick (where abduction from the hip is required) is essentially knee to hip level at best...

This also comes into play anytime I'm trying to go into a mount as my hips just do NOT want to spread.

Any advice for a newb?
    If you're trying to kick higher, I recommend kicking at progressively higher targets. The dynamics of kicking high are a little more complex than just being flexible (especially if you want to hit with power) so just stretching isnít the best solution.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 10:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Codos, would you care to elaborate?

Thanks to the others for the opinions as well, I'll heed the advice.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 10:26am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Turrry View Post
    Codos, would you care to elaborate?
    Sure. Letís say you want to cultivate a head level roundhouse kick. IMO, a bulk of this development should be devoted to hitting things with this high roundhouse kick (ie a heavy bag or a partner holding thai pads). This will force you to stretch, but it will also get you used to balancing in a high kick position, use your oblique muscles to get the right hip angle, and develop power in the kick so that when your foot/shin clocks someone in the head, itíll put them down or make them scared of receiving another. The strength, balance and dynamics issues wonít be solved if you just stretch though. If you canít kick that high, kick the target as high as you can comfortably, and if you do this consistently Iíll bet soon enough you can kick higher. Repeat with other high kicks you want to get good at (side, hook, spinning etc). This advice was given to me by someone who can kick head level cold and who doesnít do much stretching at all, but he definitely kicks the bag a lot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 1:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good advice. Thanks.

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 2:19pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good advice re: dynamic and pnf stretching (careful if you do it with a partner).

Do the dynamic stuff in the beginning as part of a general warmup prior to workout. Coaches who make you do a lot of static stretching prior to workout --especially cold -- need to learn some new tricks.

Hot yoga is good too, as long as you don't push it too far. Lots of good looking ladies... Stay away from the hippy/culty stuff though.
    Last edited by Res Judicata; 10/21/2010 2:28pm at .

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 4:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^
    Yes, if you do static stretching with a partner, tell them beforehand to not just let you go when you're done, but slowly ease you out of the stretch.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast