Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/21/2003 3:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    been training on and off, still have not gotten promoted, been training on and off since 1997, and all i know is the people that i started out with have not really gotten better than me and some of them have reached purple belt, I can hang with them and they can not tap me out, since it is my first time going back to train in like a year and the funny thing is i was tapping quite a few of them out pretty consistantly when i was training hard core, The thing about me is i train sporatically when i have no school and stress. and i think it pisses my instructor off, because he said, u would be so much better if u went to class more, i tell him I can't make it because my major is so strenious and i need to spend my time study. But its usually because i slack off so much during the begining, i need to bury my self out of my own grave.
    ohh well maybe when i reach graduation in college i can devote more time towards jiu jitsu
    GS

Taking a break

Posted On:
    2/21/2003 5:06am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry about the belts. If you know, your instructors know, and the people you train with know how good you are, what does it matter? People who don't know you shouldn't be judging you by what belt you have anyway.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Posted On:
    2/21/2003 9:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Same things happens to me Genki, I would liek to train as much as possible but I can't always due to "stuff" happeing/college etc..

But even with college etc you still have time to train: often in times when I wouldn't be studying anyway (i.e. not the right time of day) I can go and train. I try not to use college as an excuse not to train - im my opinion (for me) there is always enough time to train at least 1-3 times a week..

Yeah but belts really don't matter...
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/21/2003 11:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why should you be promoted?

You haven't been back in a year and before that you were only going sporadically and you think you should be promoted?

I agree the belts don't really matter as status, but they do as far as the hierarchy and teaching structure of the class go, and they can be very important for that. As you said slacking is why you're not going, and why you're not getting promoted if you care about that.

**You're all a-holes**

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2003 11:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    don't worry about belts, worry about your skill.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/23/2003 5:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dochter's right.

Don't slack off and you'll get promoted.

--------
    What would happen if a one hand clapper attempted to stop a tree falling in the woods when no one else was around?
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    2/23/2003 5:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I STILL don't feel as though I earned my green belt, and I've had it a couple months now. Wanna switch?

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2003 6:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know exactly what your talking about. In my school you have to get so many classes in before you can test, but with school I rarely have time to come, honesty I'm a math/engineering major, so I never test in winter. But Im better than 80% of the people that test and pass, because I train hard in the summers. Sucks.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/23/2003 6:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you really want to train you can find a way.

I don't buy the 'schools too hard' excuse.
    (though maybe you're all working more than I did...) Many people, and many on this forum work full time.

My hours are 8:00am to 5:30-6:00pm 5 days a week, some weekend work as well. Others on this forum have mentioned they do far more than this (I'm looking at you JKDChick!!)

I train 4-5 times a week at the martial arts center. As well as that I do weights/cardio and conditioning on my own 6 days a week.

Are you telling me your school work is simply so time consuming you can't make it to your centre 1-2 days a week ?

--------
    What would happen if a one hand clapper attempted to stop a tree falling in the woods when no one else was around?
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/23/2003 10:54pm

supporting member
     Style: kyoku-shin, boun-shin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "ohh well maybe when i reach graduation in college i can devote more time towards jiu jitsu"

Not in my experience. Just having a job and home takes up a lot of time, then factor in commuting, overtime, friends, injuries and everything else that happens. Even the engineers I knew in school had more time then than they did now. I think you have to decide how much of a priority training is and act accordingly -- but it's not the end of the world if you don't make training your #1. (Not many people can or want to.)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast