Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 9:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ Tournaments?

Having never participated in a BJJ Tournament before, I have a few questions.
    I assume that they are run like a wrestling meet (bracketed by weight) except they obviously are also seperate by belt. Is age a consideration when setting up brackets? Are the rules, what's legal or not, different for each belt?

Really curious,
    KP

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 9:27am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been meaning to write something up on this since it seems a lot of people don't know the usual BJJ rules.

Once I'm finished posting my answer to your ankle lock rules question, I'll get to this thread.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 9:36am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ.org has a good introduction to the rules and standard practices: http://www.bjj.org/tournaments/rules.html

game dog

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 10:07am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is age a consideration when setting up brackets? Are the rules, what's legal or not, different for each belt?
    yes and yes. Many big tourneys have a Masters (maybe even and Executive) division (30+, or 35+ for Masters, 40+ or so for Exec), usually with fewer weight brackets, and there are obviously kids and teen divisions as well.
    Rules often differ with regard to heel hooks, other foot locks, and sometimes neck cranks (often not allowed for white and blue belts and allowed for higher belts). Depends on the organization.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 10:16am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Official CBJJ rules: http://www.cbjj.com.br/english/rules.htm (pardon the Portuenglish)

FFBJJ rules: http://www.floridajiujitsufed.com/rules.htm (what I have competed under)

The gi rules are probably almost identical to CBJJ, but it also has no-gi rules.

FFBJJ Weight and Age divisions: http://www.floridajiujitsufed.com/divisions.htm

Since I imagine many of you are lazy, here is some info relevent to the question asked about age divisions:
    Junior (up to 13 years old)
    Juvenile I (14 & 15 years old)
    Juvenile II (16 & 17 years old)
    Adult (18 and over)
    Master (35 and over)
    That page also gives you a lot of information on male/female divisions and fight time limits.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 10:52am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just fyi because one of the guys I train with wasn't told this and so missed out on some matches:
    You can compete in adult even if you're technically supposed to be in the Master's division. I don't know if you can usually do both though.
  7. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 10:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Using the term Master for age instead of knowledge is going to be hard for me to get use to.
    I feel uncomfortable telling people that I'm a white belt master.
    Hmmmm, Master after only 6 months of training, cool.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 10:53am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know a lot of "Masters" who compete in Adult since they don't like fighting in the "old man" division.
  9. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 10:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dochter
    Just fyi because one of the guys I train with wasn't told this and so missed out on some matches:
    You can compete in adult even if you're technically supposed to be in the Master's division. I don't know if you can usually do both though.
    Makes sense.
    You can probably voluntarily move up to a HIGHER weight class too.
    If there aren't enough Master white belts in my weight class to make a decent bracket, I would gladly have my ass handed to me by a 20 year old. I would rather do that than get a second place trophy in a two man bracket.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    I know a lot of "Masters" who compete in Adult since they don't like fighting in the "old man" division.
    yeah like me, since the weight classes are more spread out, i would have to fight against a 20lb weight advantage in the "old man" divisions.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast