Sponsored Links Spacer Image

***ned

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 5:36pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Imaginary +rep for the purple belt playing mind games with n00bs.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 5:38pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yrkoon just embodied the phrase "You are not at my level."

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 6:59pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dochter
    When he started the thread he'd been to 1.5 grappling classes.

does this mean he left halfway through the second class.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 7:05pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    I love it when new guys think they can hang with me. Next time we roll I make sure to let them get the upperhand a bunch, not quite tap me out - but let them stay on top so they think they won. The longest I have ever held out doing this is like a couple weeks to anyone.

I have had to be carefull to make sure if they guy was watching that I was being dominated by others too.

The only reason I think its funny is because I overheard one guy talking to another guy in class boasting about his abilities by his performance with me. And the other guy just looked at him a minute, asked if he was serious, and then said - dude, he's playing with you. Just wait. I beat you easy. And he beats ME easy.

On the one hand he is doubtfull and REALLY thinks he has some skills. But on the other hand he just had someone crush his ego.

I dunno. I just think its funny when a newbie gets real cocky. Because I have had the exact same thing happen to me when I thought I was working some purple belt as a white belt. When he finally opened up the can of whoop ass on me....oh man.
    one of my first classes i rolled with a certain crazy brown belt(so i found out later). well the first roll i lasted atleast 3 mins before getting tapped to your goverment issue armbar. well i think i must have had this "wow im pretty good" look on my face cause the next roll was him passing my guard rolling to my back and rnc'ing me so bad my throat hurt for weeks. now when i do good against a higher belt i have to ask my self was he just messing with me or practicing ecscapes and most times they are. really i dont think you should keep doing this to him cause it gives him a false since of what his bjj game is.

i like guys like aesopian who whip your asss with the floor and then tell you why.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

RAAAAAAR! Fear the Tiger!

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 7:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed...humouring someone and then punishing them for ego isn't really fair. And if you're going to do that, at least be HONEST with them when they ask you about it afterwards! "Did you just play with me there? Or was I really doing well?" "**** man, you suck! I was sleeping!"

Anyway...one thing I want to comment/observe. Doc mentioned small class sizes and the teacher basically working whatever he wishes and the newer people in class just kinda tag along and pieces together the basics themselves as best they can. This is common in most schools, including mine.

I found if I stayed after class/roll time and kept working with a partner, the teacher or a senior would almost ALWAYS check the mats one last time before leaving (usually having already changed)...and they would just watch us, and inevitably get caught up in showing us what we're doing wrong. I think I learned more after classes in my first year than I ever learned IN class. LOL! We're not talking about just general open-mat training...we're talking about catching someone's attention and suddenly they REALLY care if you get it or not.
    Regards,
    CrimsonTiger

"Na'h, they should go to old school rules.
    One guy gets sword and sheild, the other gets a net and a trident.
    Lions eat christians between rounds." - Strong Machine

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/18/2005 2:02pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very nice Omega. I really like the emphasis on throws and conditioning.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678