Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 5:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    he was specifically asking BJJers about BJJ. That is why the BJJers gave BJJ advice. If BJJ is a sport with rules than why should I question my instructor's methods of not teaching me something that is illegal for me to do in the first place.
    He had his style listed as Vale Tudo (after 3 lessons?). That wasn't a factor in my answers to him.

Just to repeat something, I made some comments about how I figured it might have been better to have been taught. I'm pretty secure in those contentions given that I'm still quite close to my start bjj date but far enough away to see some flaws in what I do and how I train.

I'd really appreciate input from all the grapplers on their assessment of that. I learned basically how it seems olly is.

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 9:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "would never want to be confrontational with Mr. Machine because A) he knows more about grappling than I probably ever will, and B) he could beat my ass silly,"

While I appreciate the compliment, I am not Fedor.I am regular guy with little athletesism.I only became a teacher because there were no schools within driving distance and I never asked to get "pro fighter" beside my name.In fact it embarrasses me.In my mind getting paid 500 bucks a few times doesnt exactly a "pro fighter" make.Please take what I type as merely one mans perhaps biased and/or simply stupid opinion.I type what I do to create debate.Not to have people say "well he must know cause he beat up some terrible fighter in a ring a few times".

-BUT-
    If he were talking about self defense, mma, or anything else were these techniques would be allowed/suggested than blasting the BJJers would be appropriate. However...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olly
    Can any bjj players give me some tips...

he was specifically asking BJJers about BJJ.

He was asking BJJers, but not about sport BJJ.I think you are making the same mistake lots of BJJ teachers make. in assuming the average new BJJ student cares one whit about sport BJJ.
    I like it.I could watch Tereres and Pe De Panos roll all day long.But people go to BJJ schools to learn self-defense or maybe to get a foundation in MMA.They may eventually(hopefully) become advocates of sport BJJ but they dont start there.
    I am among those who thinks true BJJ is what Mino does.And what Tererre does is a cool sport, but far from the essense of BJJ.
    Sport BJJ is good way to get ready for real BJJ which is seen in MMA.
    It is a safer simulation of a MMA fight as was its intention.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 5:14am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, the knee between their legs is crucial. Work that, and once you've got that down you'll find you can goto that position after bridging, when he stands in your guard, etc. I use the omoplata footlock vs a standing opponent often.

I'm assuming you know the basic mechanics of how to do the sub, so I won't bother with those. I'll just go over some tips for the battling for space that often happens.

If you're in Gi, you'll often find your lapels grabbed. I find that trying to break those grips with your one free hand doesn't help much. Instead, I usually use the foot that's on his hip (to the outside of the locked leg) to scrap the hands off your lapels.

No Gi is signifigantly easier. He'll probably try for something like a tie up, but if you've been keeping your knee inside like you should, he won't get close enough to actually bend his arms. Clear with your free arm, shuck and roll with your head and shoulders.

Most importantly, know when to go belly down. If he's raised the knee of the leg you're trying to lock and is trying to stack you, that's a good time to go belly down.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 10:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehogey
    I'm assuming you know the basic mechanics of how to do the sub, so I won't bother with those. I'll just go over some tips for the battling for space that often happens.
    He doesn't that's why some of us stopped even talking to him about the sub itself and told him to worry more about the basics. When he started the thread he'd been to 1.5 grappling classes.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 11:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strong Machine,

In post 40 I brought up that when I first started I think it may have been helpful if when free rolling I held position for a certain amount of time prior to attempting to throw subs. Whenever I work with brand new guys I try and stress this to them as well (it was something a really good guy at my school told me, that I didn't really do).

I've since thought it would have been far better for my game to have done so. Since I'm still in the early parts of learning, the initial experience is fresh in my mind but I'd like your and other experienced individuals to assess this opinion.

Thanks.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 11:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a lesson of pure grappling tonight and I don't have a friend coming with me so I'll be the least experienced guy. I will be concentrating on holding positions and working my way into better positions if I've held myself comfortably for a reasonable amount of time.

Not that I think I'm close to a match for anyone else there, but it didn't seem hopeless when I escaped from the mount of a guy with one years experience and attempted to sub him before. So I may still go for a sub if I see the opportunity. I will be extra careful with any ankle locks.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 12:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was working with you. If you doubt it ask him to tap you as fast as possible.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 12:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I guess he would have been, I don't want to believe it though. I'll make a post after my class tonight or in the morning.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 5:32pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love it when new guys think they can hang with me. Next time we roll I make sure to let them get the upperhand a bunch, not quite tap me out - but let them stay on top so they think they won. The longest I have ever held out doing this is like a couple weeks to anyone.

I have had to be carefull to make sure if they guy was watching that I was being dominated by others too.

The only reason I think its funny is because I overheard one guy talking to another guy in class boasting about his abilities by his performance with me. And the other guy just looked at him a minute, asked if he was serious, and then said - dude, he's playing with you. Just wait. I beat you easy. And he beats ME easy.

On the one hand he is doubtfull and REALLY thinks he has some skills. But on the other hand he just had someone crush his ego.

I dunno. I just think its funny when a newbie gets real cocky. Because I have had the exact same thing happen to me when I thought I was working some purple belt as a white belt. When he finally opened up the can of whoop ass on me....oh man.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast