--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You shud always take Asseopians advice with a grain of salt
  2. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 1:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's it...I need more new people in my class.
  3. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 1:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by v1o
    You shud always take Asseopians advice with a grain of salt.
  4. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 1:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my BBJ class is everybody is taught at the same time (class is small, hell, 18 is the record). There is however no 'no-gi' option so that must be why I never see these subs. The instructor has however split us up on occasion and said you guys work on 'this' and you guys work on 'that' -or- have us work on some multistep drill and just tell us whites to 'leave out the last part'.

Anyway, I am definitely no expert on anything MA related, I'm just typing random thoughts.
    Besides, I realize that the overwhelming majority of you could make my ass tap in no time.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 2:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by v1o
    By the way who you training with?
    The classes are held at Westcliff Martial Arts and Boxing Academy, I don't know the instructers full name, but I see a lot of t-shirts with SureGrip Gracie Jiu Jitsu Fight Team written on the back.

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 2:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Any tips on hanging onto the foot before I've started to apply the lock? That is as far as I can get against any decent white belt before he slips out."

You are telegraphiing it by trying to wrap the foot first.Generally you get position and control his leg THEN get the ankle.

Why is then whenever someone asks for advice on leglocks a ton of BJJers come in and say "pass guard" or "dont worry about them"?
    I know why.
    Because of brazilian propaganda.
    Yes, you should knopw how to pass guard.But guys who have slick ankle breaks pass my guard quickwer than anyone else cause I'm more worried about gettong crippled than position.
    If someone asks about armbars we don't hear "learn top keep position, forget armbars."
    Those of you who have gone for months to a BJJ school and not been shown any leg attacks should have a talk with your teacher.I don't care if he is Rickson Gracie, he is holding back way too much.
    If you pay him to teach you effective grappling then you are getting screwed.He has not kept his side of the bargain.

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 2:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Leg locks are the toilet paper of the grappling world.
    Sure you don't NEED them, but they keep things nice and tidy.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 3:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong Machine
    If someone asks about armbars we don't hear "learn top keep position, forget armbars."
    That's actually what I was saying. Particularly if you're at the point where you don't know what passing the guard means. He has a lot more to worry about before trying to refine one submission.

I of course agree with the rest. Mainly because I know you know more than me.

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Until it became apparent that the poster should probably gain a little more experience, I was just waiting for someone to post about applying a toe hold from the guard. :)

Gringo Grande
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).
  10. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 4:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would never want to be confrontational with Mr. Machine because A) he knows more about grappling than I probably ever will, and B) he could beat my ass silly,
    -BUT-
    If he were talking about self defense, mma, or anything else were these techniques would be allowed/suggested than blasting the BJJers would be appropriate. However...
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly
    Can any bjj players give me some tips...
    he was specifically asking BJJers about BJJ. That is why the BJJers gave BJJ advice. If BJJ is a sport with rules than why should I question my instructor's methods of not teaching me something that is illegal for me to do in the first place.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast