Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 11:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doc is 100% correct.
    Though sometiems you can slip in a sub on a noob very easliy, it has more to do with HIS lack of skill, than your "incredible execution".

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 11:58am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've found everything and everyone in this thread to be pretty fair.

I've lurked on here for a few months, finally found some bjj classes at a time I could attend. I have a spare computer at work so I thought I could get a couple of tips to improve on what I have been taught and practiced so far. I have little idea as to what is advanced or basic techniques at the moment.

This site is pretty good, I probably wouldn't have quit wing chun for muay thai last year if it wasn't for this site and I hope I can contribute to it in the future. I'll see if I can make a donation at the end of the month, I guess I owe this site something.

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 12:22pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a related note, you might really annoy some of the more experienced players if you start fumbling for ankle locks while rolling. Personally, if some newbie starts grabbing for ankle locks play time is now over. No more helping them to learn, it's crush the new guy time. Afterwards I will carefully explain why they should not have done that.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 12:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll keep in mind everything people have said about ankle locks being an advanced technique and the dangers of them. But I guess this school has a different approach to them, the instructor told me to have a go at what I had learnt when I was rolling with a friend who started with me, and other white belts seemed to go for them when they had the chance.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 12:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At lots of schools (mine included) leg and footlocks aren't that big of a concern. Some other places they are. I probably wouldn't care unless some spastic noob (they're all spastic) went for a heelhook. The rest, meh.
  6. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 12:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me get this straight...Olly submitted someone with an ankle lock after only 3 classes.
    Again, I not only have not been taught any leg subs but I have never seen one used in class and that includes some purple and a **** load of blues. I never tapped anybody until I was 4 months in and it was only because the victem (I mean opponent) had only been coming for less than a month. That was my only time until last weekend when I finally choked someone at the end of a long 5 minutes of rolling and it was only his second class. (He was more experienced than he let on. He came with one of the best people in class so I think he had been working with him before he started coming. The biggest clue was when he ALMOST arm-barred me.)

Olly is either a freaking phenom or this **** isn't coming natural to me. Maybe a little of both.
    Either way, it sounds like he is being taught the art in the wrong order.
    FUNDAMENTALS
    You can't play Shortstop without fielding a shitload of grounders first.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 12:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He got it on his other new buddy. Don't sweat it.

As for learning in the wrong order: many of you have a skewed perception of how some bjj schools may be run. At my school we simply don't have enough really good guys or enough new guys to run beginner's classes. If it's your first day and Gary is going over kneebars from guard, half and side; that's what you're going to learn. Hopefully you'll then get paired up with someone willing to walk you through the basics too. Gary usually makes sure that happens too. You still learn the foot locks though. The restriction on footlocks early on also is a detriment in many no-gi tournaments where the rules are different.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 12:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also that's why I've thought about how I learned and probably came up with two things that are standard for bigger schools.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 12:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I made a guy tap with an ankle lock who had also only just started, we had been practicing take downs and ankle locks for at least half hour before we started rolling. Our instructions where no biting, hair pulling, scratching, pinching, striking, gouging and start from the knees and just try to sub each other. I choked him twice and got the ankle lock, he kimured me and choked me once.

After that lesson I rolled with another guy who just started and I choked, ankle locked, and arm barred him.

Then I rolled with a guy who had been going for nearly a year, who slipped out of my ankle lock attempt.

I was expecting to be taught just basic positioning, what I learnt was being taught to the whole class. I know 3 of the guys have mma fights in a week or so, I expect the instructor was giving most of his time to them.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 1:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WSL Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly
    Thanks Aesopian, I'll take a look.

So would people really not recommend going for any submissions, even if the opportunity presents itself.
    You shud always take Asseopians advice with a grain of salt.

By the way who you training with?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast