Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 4:34am

supporting member
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always had these images of a slipped disc in my mind - You know like the hard discs they use on plastic skeletons.
    Having seen the real thing in the OR - it's actually quite an ugly, meshy, piece of mess that you wonder how they are ever going to heal by themself.
    But they do.

( I should become a motivational speaker )

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 10:10am

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Been about three weeks already, and it happened last fall too and took me out for about two months, so I expect another month or so.

Thanks for the mitzvah, Feryk.

Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    Shitty deal, afro. Sorry to hear it. How long do you think you'll be laid up?
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Canuckistanian Refugee

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, JKD Concepts, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, I feel your pain. I've been there, it is no fun at all. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
    ~F. Scott Fitzgerald

Whether it is a good thing or a bad thing, smashing things up is sometimes very pleasant.
    ~Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 10:15am

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, there are just a flat piece of Jell-o. The FDA is approving an artificial one but it hasn't cleared yet.

Anyone else "spineless", as it were? What do you do for it? Swim? Hot tub? Acupuncture?

I was goofing before about tai chi, but if I had to choose between getting my macho jones rolling or not having to walk like John Wayne ever again ...

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AFS
    I always had these images of a slipped disc in my mind - You know like the hard discs they use on plastic skeletons.
    Having seen the real thing in the OR - it's actually quite an ugly, meshy, piece of mess that you wonder how they are ever going to heal by themself.
    But they do.

( I should become a motivational speaker )
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 11:17am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nuttin wrong with good TC.

I had neck pain/head aches for a week or two so got the scan and then reported to a sports injury doc, expecting him to slice and dice and make me all better. He said when the pain (herniated disc + bone spurs) was so bad that I couldn't lift my arms he slice, until then do meds and physical therapy. So I did. As I got better I was still all pissed about the arthritis and sparred a guy and punched his face hard. Again and again. Then he (fucking grappler) body slammed me. Hard. Years later my elbow still has a touchy nerve from that slam, but my back and neck vertebrae went popping like a drum role and it's never hurt as much since. And I still do the exercises some.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 11:17am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, the good news is that you can post more!
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 12:20pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by afronaut
    Yeah, there are just a flat piece of Jell-o. The FDA is approving an artificial one but it hasn't cleared yet.

Anyone else "spineless", as it were? What do you do for it? Swim? Hot tub? Acupuncture?

I was goofing before about tai chi, but if I had to choose between getting my macho jones rolling or not having to walk like John Wayne ever again ...

Thanks.
    depending on the extent of the injury, acupuncture can possibly help. my best case was a female with a ruptured L4-L5 from a powerlifting accident 12 years prior to seeing me for treatment. after 5 treatments, she was completely off her pain meds and avoided surgery.

that was by far best case scenerio. but most people, if the injury is not too severe, acupuncture combined with physical therapy (DO YOUR EXERCISES!) is your best chance to avoid surgery.

to find a licensed acupuncturist in your area (as opposed to a MD/DO/DC with only 300 hours of training), check out www.nccaom.org/find.htm. that is the agency that does the national certification for acupuncture and is the best place to find a qualified practitioner.

if you contact one, make sure to ask where they studied acupuncture, if they have at least a masters degree in acupuncture, how many patients they have treated with your condition, if they have an physican therapists they can refer you to (even if you already have one; it shows that they are more involved in the field), and if they have studied in china.

if you don't see results in about 5 treatments, then go somewhere else. any competent and ethical acupuncturist would refer out if that happens. good luck.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 12:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, NOBODY tells TBK about Quikfeet's post, right?

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a bulging disk somewhere in the Lumbar region that completely pinned my spinal cord so that I couldn't really move my right leg at all. Doing laying down straight leg lifts my range of mobility was about 2 inches. I had to take about 1000 mg of vicadin to get my shoes on in the morning. After getting dicked around by my HMO for close to a year I finally got surgery. Within 2 days I felt better and within 2 weeks I felt better than I had in a year.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 12:38pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    Okay, NOBODY tells TBK about Quikfeet's post, right?

afraid that the post will get derailed and we will have 15 pages of a pissing contest?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast