Administrator

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 11:57am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex8876
    Those are all one thing. The scenario is you are fighting someone, and you either take it to the ground or you dont.
    This is where you fail. You are trying to make a fight black or white. Those three thing are arguments you built not me.

MMA fighters fight from all ranges. That is it. In your zeal to prove your point, you missed this very important FACT.

You then started distorting the examples to fit your "experiment." You then went from Cage fighters to BJJ exclusively. That is what I mean by changing your "experiment."

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 11:57am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

B. You dont, instead you kick the guy in the knee when he attacks you and deck him in the face with a hard rear left and KO him. Then Vinnie runs around the corner with a brick. At that point it depends on who reacts first. The difference here is that there is at least some probability that you will be able to react and do something about Vinnie running around the corner with a brick, i.e. Kick him in the balls and then grab his head and slam it into your knee strike, whereas sitting on the ground in the mount you'll just get cracked in the side of the head.
    Wait, do you bleed superglue? Cause last time I checked It was pretty easy to stand up after punching someone in the head 4 or 5 times from mount. Whether you get hit in the head by a brick has far less to do with whether you are on the ground or not than it does with whether you see the guy coming or not.
    If you are in a standup confrontation where you must concentrate on the person in front of you then you are more easily approached from behind.
    If you are fully occupied with pounding out the guy you have mount on then you are more easily approached from behind.
    Situational awareness is not improved by avoiding taking mount on your opponent.
    And in fact, if you are in a standup fight and someone distracts you from behind your standing opponent has an easy time punching you in the head. If you are distracted while you have mount your mounted opponent can do very little to you.

Also, your stupid scenario assumes that you can 1-2 punch your opponent and just be done with it. If you are that much better than they are then of course you have nothing to worry about.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 12:00pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

But why does JKD trained for MMA have to look just like MMA? Why dont they Intercept with the Straight lead? No fencing influence, No Corkscrew hooks, No shovels,or Power side forward... If they were really using JKD then why dont we see guys moving in to strike and getting intercepted with sidekicks to the legs and stuff like that. Not once have i seen someone go to hit and get KO'd with an intercepting Straight Lead Right. Not even an Attempt at it.
    Because a ton of this works really really good against complaint partners. In the real world violence is sudden. All the cool things you see in movies and class look the same as everything else under pressure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 12:01pm

Style: Wing Chun Gung Fu/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy
    Please identify the independent/dependent variables for me in your experiment.

AND GOD KNOWS HOW LONG IT TAKES TO FIND ARMBARS! AMEN BROTHER LOLOLOLOLOL THOSE UNTRAINED GRAPPLING OPPONENTS ARE SO DAMN TRICKY
    Oh boy. I specifically made the time it takes to find an armbar open-ended because even if you only take say 30 secs, or a minute, hell 5 seconds i dont give a ****, to get the armbar, by the time you break the guy's arm and get up, you've already been hit with the brick.

The Independent variable is the guy you are initially fighting, whom you have to disable as quickly as possible. The Dependent variable is the guy running around the corner and your ability to react to him. Said ability is NIL if you are fighting the first guy on the ground.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 12:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a bad move, i might add. Good example of Progressive Indirect Attack.

But why does JKD trained for MMA have to look just like MMA? Why dont they Intercept with the Straight lead? No fencing influence, No Corkscrew hooks, No shovels,or Power side forward... If they were really using JKD then why dont we see guys moving in to strike and getting intercepted with sidekicks to the legs and stuff like that. Not once have i seen someone go to hit and get KO'd with an intercepting Straight Lead Right. Not even an Attempt at it.

Even if MMA guys fight with their right hand in fron, they only use their lead weapons as set-ups, not power shots to intercept.

Good questions probably because under full contact rules against highly trained competitors with takedowns and subs those types of moves don't work out to well.

There's been thousands and maybe 10's of thousands MMA fights what works stays what doesn't gets discarded.

Which is BL philosophy and which is why I say MMA is JKD

As to the fencing, fencing is my first MA and I did it for 6 years.

While the fencing stance is good, for certain things it's an open invitation to be on the receiving end of a single leg and is hard to sprawl from.

Which again is why the stances are the way they are.

Again as has been discussed in other threads the Wing Chun based stance is terrible for dealing with wrestling

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 12:02pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God. Is it too early in the morning to have popcorn?

I was going to comment, but really it's so much fun to just grab a seat and have some popcorn.

I didn't realize trolls got up this early.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 12:03pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh boy. I specifically made the time it takes to find an armbar open-ended because even if you only take say 30 secs, or a minute, hell 5 seconds i dont give a ****, to get the armbar, by the time you break the guy's arm and get up, you've already been hit with the brick.

The Independent variable is the guy you are initially fighting, whom you have to disable as quickly as possible. The Dependent variable is the guy running around the corner and your ability to react to him. Said ability is NIL if you are fighting the first guy on the ground.
    Said ability is Nil if you are striking and you don't see the guy coming up from around the corner.

See what I did there?

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 12:04pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

oh hell... have to get off my chair for a sec...

You realize that the same holds true for standing up? By the time you hit a person and get ready you've already been hit with the brick?

Your arguments fail.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 12:05pm

Style: Wing Chun Gung Fu/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA fighters fight from all ranges.
    So do JKD fighters.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 12:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes and the good ones cross train with other martial arts like BJJ for those other ranges

Which is why you will see a lot of JKD and CSW schools together