Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 121819202122 23242526 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 9:09am

Style: Wing Chun Gung Fu/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    meh, i think it's both, but nobody's gonna win that argument.

Baracknophobic

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 9:11am

supporting member
     Style: JackOAllTradesMasterONone

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    JKD is not an art but a Bruce Lee's philosophy on fighting...
    my school shirts say that...which may offend some when I go to a BJJ tournament with a shirt that says, "Jeet Kune Do: The Philosophy that Guides the Training"

My Jun Fan Gung Fu class just happens to be techniques that Bruce Lee liked, trained, and taught.

Why do they offer BJJ? I believe that falls under the 'use what works' clause.
    Last edited by KhorneliusPraxx; 11/03/2008 9:14am at .
    Real Join Date: Nov. 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert
    "Driving without blood is surprisingly difficult."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 9:18am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was Bruces discovery of what he found effective, the whole philosophy was for it to constantly evolve, the Kali and Silat and now BJJ illustrates that. those that teach the JFGF part without any new stuff are pointless. It should be taken as an umbrella for the individual to discover what works for him, using what bruce and dan found effective.

I did 5 years under Sifu Richard Green, it included JKD core with kali silat and near the end BJJ, he's now linked with the straight blast gym. I tried a JKD gym when I moved countries and it was a stuck "classic jkd" gym. I didnt go back and now do MMA.

I would like to do more of the kali and silat with what I do now though. you cant learn anything without alive training.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 9:19am

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GUIZ FOR CHRISSAKE JKD USES SCIENCE OK HARD COLD LONG HARD SCIENCE. I MEAN IF YOU LOOK AT THE STANCE, NATURES STRONGEST SHAPE IS A TRIANGLE, AND TRIANGLES ARE INDESTRUCTABLE SO WE STAND IN A TRIANGLE AND WE ARE INDESTRUCTABLE AND HOW ARE YOU GOING TO BEAT SOMETHING INDESTRUCTABLE YOU CANT ****** GO PULL GUARD IN HELL WHILE SUCKING SATANS DICK. ALSO CHAIN PUNCHES ARE LIKE WATER DROPS EVEN WATER DROPS CAN ERODE STONE AND THATS SCIENCE BUDDY SO WE USE OUR CHAIN PUNCHES LIKE WATER TO ERODE YOUR FACE INTO A STALACTITE OF UGLINESS YOU BUTT SCRAPERS. ALSO THIS IS ALL SCIENCE NOT YOUR STUPID BULLSHIT RULESET WHICH DOESNT ALLOW ANY TRIANGLES IN COMPETITION EXCEPT THAT GAY ONE WHERE YOU SHOVE YOUR PENIS IN A GUYS MOUTH.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 9:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    whos chris

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 9:30am

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a southern thing.

Yankee.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 9:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy
    GUIZ FOR CHRISSAKE JKD USES SCIENCE OK HARD COLD LONG HARD SCIENCE. I MEAN IF YOU LOOK AT THE STANCE, NATURES STRONGEST SHAPE IS A TRIANGLE, AND TRIANGLES ARE INDESTRUCTABLE SO WE STAND IN A TRIANGLE AND WE ARE INDESTRUCTABLE AND HOW ARE YOU GOING TO BEAT SOMETHING INDESTRUCTABLE YOU CANT ****** GO PULL GUARD IN HELL WHILE SUCKING SATANS DICK. ALSO CHAIN PUNCHES ARE LIKE WATER DROPS EVEN WATER DROPS CAN ERODE STONE AND THATS SCIENCE BUDDY SO WE USE OUR CHAIN PUNCHES LIKE WATER TO ERODE YOUR FACE INTO A STALACTITE OF UGLINESS YOU BUTT SCRAPERS. ALSO THIS IS ALL SCIENCE NOT YOUR STUPID BULLSHIT RULESET WHICH DOESNT ALLOW ANY TRIANGLES IN COMPETITION EXCEPT THAT GAY ONE WHERE YOU SHOVE YOUR PENIS IN A GUYS MOUTH.

uhhhhhhhhhhh, i didnt say indestructible. Triangles are not indestructible. Chain punches are not t3h ul71m4t3 attack either. It's just that the science makes sense and it works. Stop being an asshole.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 9:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hadoken
    It was Bruces discovery of what he found effective, the whole philosophy was for it to constantly evolve, the Kali and Silat and now BJJ illustrates that. those that teach the JFGF part without any new stuff are pointless. It should be taken as an umbrella for the individual to discover what works for him, using what bruce and dan found effective.

I did 5 years under Sifu Richard Green, it included JKD core with kali silat and near the end BJJ, he's now linked with the straight blast gym. I tried a JKD gym when I moved countries and it was a stuck "classic jkd" gym. I didnt go back and now do MMA.

I would like to do more of the kali and silat with what I do now though. you cant learn anything without alive training.
    I never said that you couldnt add new stuff. Just saying that there is a basic foundation, and if you add something that doesnt fit in that foundation, it might not work as well. if it works for you personally, great.

Do you still use anything you learned from JKD in the MMA arena? C'mon, you had to have kept SOMETHING, there's a lot of good stuff in there.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 9:39am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex8876
    If you 're throwing Chain Punches, and someone runs up behind you, you have the option of Kicking them and then getting out from between them, where you can be hit from behind. If you're on the ground, you dont have the mobility to avoid an attack from someone who unexpectedly runs up on you. Granted, you could still be cracked in the back of the head while standing, but at least you have a better chance of defending yourself on your feet, and/or using footwork to evade.
    Take more than a seminar of grappling or stop talking. This is really getting old. BJJ isn't good in multiple attacker situations. Yes, we know when you go to the ground a hood/blindfold falls over your face.

The same lack of awareness applies to the ground as it does standing when you fight. I know all strikers claim this great awareness but, the same strawman you build for grapplers applies to strikers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 9:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Take more than a seminar of grappling or stop talking. This is really getting old. BJJ isn't good in multiple attacker situations. Yes, we know when you go to the ground a hood/blindfold falls over your face.

The same lack of awareness applies to the ground as it does standing when you fight. I know all strikers claim this great awareness but, the same strawman you build for grapplers applies to strikers.
    I know that, thats why i said THIS: Granted, you could still be cracked in the back of the head while standing, but at least you have a better chance of defending yourself on your feet, and/or using footwork to evade.

the point is at least you might be able to avoid it if you are on your feet and can MOVE, whereas on the ground that is waaaaay harder to do.
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 121819202122 23242526 ... LastLast