Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    10/09/2007 11:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So is that JKD in training or the "when someone is good at crosstraining they're doing JKD" type of JKD?
    More human than human is our motto.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 1:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently he started out in JKD, and now trains solely in MT/BJJ, but still considers himself JKD, (too many acronyms in that sentence!)
    He says he's doing the "use whatever works" part of JKD.

Genius

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 10:31am

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatical
    While intent on using "what works" the JKD people I've seen have often locked themselves in the "too deadly" zone. And I've never heard of an MMA guy citing heavy JKD background or even JKD as a reason to test himself in MMA. Thus proving that "doing what works" is a hollow mantra.
    Erik Paulsen, Full Instructor of JKD under Inosanto. I also know plenty of JKD people that compete in MMA. Of course, the "trapping" and other Bruce Lee like movements aren't used all that much in training anymore. They are learned, but not trained.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." – Voltaire.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 1:59pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And Todd Medina...shame he sucked though

I don't compete in MMA but do fight an awful lot with non-compliant people. Does this mean I have the real JKD?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 6:34pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a snippet from an IFL Battleground interview with a comment from Bas on this topic. It seems to gel with pretty much the consensus view around here that JKD's approach ate itself by becoming "stylised".

UGO: Would you say that Mixed Martial Arts is like Bruce Lee's philosophy of Jeet Kun Do where you take a little bit of everything?

BAS: It is, but it's totally different. In Jeet Kun Do they still have the back fist from a stance without a turn, and all of that stuff. It's just not effective today. At that time, though, it was effective. Look at those English boxers from the early days; they were looking inside their hands when they were boxing. It's just evolved throughout the years. Double kicks with one leg, those things are very hard to pull off in order to make both kicks really powerful. The philosophy is like Bruce Lee's. I heard a cool story that when he was training with Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee believed that kicks above the waist were of no good use and much too dangerous. When he was sparring, Chuck Norris kicked him in the head. After that, Bruce Lee changed and used high kicks. He was very open minded and I think as a martial artist you have to be.

http://www.ugo.com/ugo/html/article/?id=17183

Genius

Posted On:
    10/10/2007 11:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bas is somewhat correct, if Lee was still alive, I'm sure he'd have his students training BJJ and Muay Thai.. .which is what many JKD/Concepts people do.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." – Voltaire.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 6:34pm

Style: Poor mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    Bas is somewhat correct, if Lee was still alive, I'm sure he'd have his students training BJJ and Muay Thai.. .which is what many JKD/Concepts people do.
    Dan Inosanto himself said Bruce's opinion on Muay Thai was flawed at the time he criticized it, and would have eventually embraced and moved towards it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 8:35pm

Style: Boxing, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendetta

JKD tends to produce "martial artists", whereas MMA regularly produces fighters.
    Wha...????

I think you're splitting a non-existant hair here. If someone who does JKD spars realistically (ie, the way guys do for their sport MMAs) then they will be just as much of a "fighter" as someone who does the same for MMA but without the hinderance of the MMA ruleset. As with a lot of these comparisons, it has more to do with the WAY things are trained than what the things are.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 9:28pm

Style: Boxing, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    Holy **** this is some dumb ****.

Also I would love to see a "JKD guy" (by your definition) destroy and MMA guy on the street. Suddenly, with the addition of headbutts, fishooks, and groin bites, the JKD nerd takes the fore!
    I think this is where this discussion gets weird; MMA, wrestling, boxing etc attracts good athletes whereas things like JKD, kung fu, etc don't so much. Guys with natural athleticism and coordination don't usually get fucked with as much as nerdy types do, and so don't have as much need of techniques for "smaller guys to defeat bigger guys!!!!" and all that. Good athletes are also more likely to want to, well, play sports and compete which leads them to MMA, judo, boxing etc and when preparing to compete, let’s face it, you train harder and IMO usually better.

The point of this ramble is that JKD might be better for a nerd who just isn't the type to do sports style martial arts in that (enter the evil twin universe here) a JKD nerd in a street fight would beat his evil MMA twin because the style is suited more to it and they're physically equal. The fact that Matt Hughes could probably beat any JKD guy in an alley isn't the point. The point is, if you're not Matt Hughes and you're expecting some thug to be mugging you in an alley and not a world class MMA fighter then the lame nerdy finger jab snap kick run like hell will be much better than trying to shoot for a double, get mount and wait for something to happen. Let’s keep in mind what the intentions are and who they’re for (and who they’re not for) before we throw the nerdy JKD baby out with the sweaty MMA bathwater.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2007 10:03pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you're saying JKD is for the street, therefore it beats MMA on the street. Hmm... my friend the _ing __un sifu says "_ing __un is for the street".

According to you he'd beat an equivalent size/weight combat athlete every time the second they step outside the ring/dojo/matted area. In fact one might extrapolate from what you said that every MA exists on a spectrum of street vs sport spectrum, and therefore as _ing __un sucks in the ring it must be awesome on the street.

Similarly, have you ever thought training for combat sports is a better way to improve athleticism than doing self defense classes? Therefore those two twins you discuss will end up physically different over time, with athleticism favouring the one who does the sport over the one who does self defense classes for nerds.