Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 6:48pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's ok macistani, i'll provide proof. I hope arizona state's premed program is adequate.

<quote>
    The Trabeculae of Spongy Bone
    Latticework of thin plates of bone called trabeculae oriented along lines of stress
    Spaces in between these struts are filled with red marrow where blood cells develop
    Found in ends of long bones and inside flat bones such as the hipbones, sternum, sides of skull, and ribs.
    </quote>

http://microvet.arizona.edu/Courses/...talSystem.html

I found this supporting link on the top of a google search. It's not non-sensical, it's called 'remodeling'. Here's another link from the AMA; it's even got a neat little animation.

http://www.ama-cmeonline.com/osteo_m.../02path/11.htm

I'll agree that none of it states that it happens in the fingers or knuckles, but knuckles don't typically have that sort of stress. Not everyone punches bags of rocks.However, it does illustrate the latticework effect. It's the simple structural layout of bone cells.

kd

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    3/05/2005 5:15pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punching a solid mounted wall bag teaches you to apply power into the wall. the bag is the cushion to prevent some of the damage. Rebounded energy from the wall must be dealt with and this is what you are learning.

Hanging bags swing away so you learn a different type of power, but no rebound. This is why coaches HOLD the bag for you! too stop the swing.

Wall bag is just alot cheaper thn the space needed to hang a heavy and then hire someone to hold it.

If you are hitting it so hard that you break your hand, you are missing the point.....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2005 10:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHarber
    At the UK throwdown, Asia can use a boxing punch on you, and then a Baji punch.
    We'll see then.

As for being thrown across rooms, that more to do with upsetting balance rather than kinetic impact.
    I know this is a little late in the game...but being a wing chun and muay thai person, I have to say, that the boxing style punches are noticeably more powerful then the wing chun straight punches. It's the simple mechanics of it all. You could take it down to the simple equation M*V2=P. I do feel that my wing chun punches are effective in that range, but I feel my knockout punch is going to come from a cross more then likely.

Maybe it's just bad wing chun skills....I suck.

But as far as hitting a wall bag, in my kwoon we hit rice filled bags. They give a bit depending on how much rice is in them of course, and then we don't hit full power either. We also use heavy bags as well doing the same things. There are speed bags there, up and down bags, and a thai style heavy bag too. ( :evil4: ) We hit them all for different things.

As far as the arthritis thing, it's genetic, but also (and more commonly) from trauma and repetitive movements. Virtually ALL martial arts cause repetitive trauma to the joints, as we all absorb some force at any given time. I also ride sportbikes, and type all day. All the above mentioned activities are probably going to give me arthitis or CTS. Wait...I already have it in my left wrist from it being broken 3 years ago (and still healing to this day). I have to have another surgery on it here in a month or so. Oh well...move on.
    Last edited by Vankuen; 3/08/2005 10:57am at .

Posted On:
    3/08/2005 11:09am

Style: wingy chingy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yikes! Have you heard of joint mobility exercises?
    "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 8:55am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hit a lot of wallbags, walls, doors (don't ask), punch bags, etc. I find that it strengthens the wrist, but makes your hand shake.

I know some Karate black belts who are now suffering from arthritis in their joints.

This is from punching and snapping the arm out in strikes

Posted On:
    3/16/2010 10:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just happened to pass by this forum while web-surfing.
    Haven't really tried this bag , but I have done the makiwara.
    I thought that damage really happened when training improperly without proper healing time?
    On a side note ever heard of Wolff's law?

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 10:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think wall bags suck. Punching a wall that doesn't give, I think puts more strain on your joints, especially elbow and gives unrealistic feedback--hitting a wall teaches you how to hit a wall, hitting a person is nothing like that. Plus you can't move around the target.

If you want knuckle conditioning that is adequate for most normal people, just do pushups on your knuckles on a hard surface and work up to hitting heavy bag/focus mitts full force without gloves/wraps.

If you need more for some reason, I'd go with a properly built makiwara with the stand shaved (so it bends and has give unlike a wall!), or maybe I'd give the Dale Dugas stuff a try.

Edit: **** THE NECROERS GOT ME, DANGIT

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 6:29pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know its old but i'll chime in. Whats the name of that bag that sits about head height on the wall with about 6 different angled circular targets to hit along with a rectangular bit underneath it to facilitate bodyshots?

I absolutely love this thing. I'm using it for about half of my bag work, lets me use uppercuts, knees to the head and work in elbows a lot better as well as help me visualize the proper angles for hooks and headkicks.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 8:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know what you're talking about. Those wall platform thingees. I've never used one though.

I've also never used a BOB ,and think they look stupid in general, BUT I would like to see how headkicks feel on one, because high kicks on a perfect cylinder don't capture quite the same feel as reality.

Posted On:
    3/17/2010 8:50pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah i could definitely use one myself, particularly for training non-roundhouse headkicks. Tried a few spinning heel kicks on the bag and it didn't feel so good, and i have no idea how I'm going to train accuracy or power with my axe kicks without someone to hold pads. There is only so much air kicking i can put up with.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast