Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 12:12am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    'that's why you wear boxing gloves when you spar, to weaken the impact of your punches."

Strange, I always thought it was to increase the surface area of the impact.
    Yes, they do increase the surface area, but they also weaken the impact. If it was only a matter of inreasing the surface area you could fill your gloves with solid plastic instead of foam.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 12:15am

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fedor uses them. In fact their is a picture of either him or his bro hitting one on his site.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 5:15pm

Style: jazz hands

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to train in Wing Chun and I have done the wall bag thing, rice, sand, gravel and iron shot. It was fun but I stopped doing that. It's already been said, but be careful w/ oldschool methods of conditioning.
    Since your interested in conditioning your hands, you might be interested in simply strengthening the muscles in your hands and forearms. Combining the strength training with alignment work and you'll have a more solid strike, and be less prone to injury.
    check out the book "Mastery of Hand Strength" by John Brookfield.
    full of 'good ways to strengthen your hands and wrists without damaging yourself.
    there used to be alot of the material in that book on the web but I can't find it, or I would have posted the links instead of the book.

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 7:08pm

Style: wingy chingy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice.
    "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 8:01pm

Style: jazz hands

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    found the site, i didn't look hard enough
    http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/open...s/griptip.html

just click on the 'more' link, 34 pages. Theres enough info in that site that you won't need top buy his book like I did.
    I do levers in all directions, holding a chair by the leg at a half curl for time, grippers. My favorite is putting 2 plates at the gym together w/ the smooth side facing out so theres nothing to grab, clamping onto it w/ my hand and dead lifting it. Personal best was 2 25lb plates.
    Also play handball.
    no reason to hurt your joints

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2005 8:05pm

Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey boys, excellent site you've got here...

Here's my take. Striking hard objects causes microfractures in your bones as they absorb the impact. As the microfractures heal, the bone cells 'lattice' themselves and become essentially denser. This is why older women 'powerwalk' to retain bone density and fight osteoporosis. I'm not sure that the daily training is going to help much... bones don't heal as quickly as other body components. You should definately take a healing period if you do this.

Also, your knuckles will face exterior fractures, causing the latticework to build up... causing calcium spurs that may inhibit range of motion, pinch tendons, pinch nerves, or just break off and wreak all kinds of havoc.

you can research all this on webmd.

kd

Registered Member

I'm surrounded by farms in middle america.

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 1:07am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KenpoDude, Breaking a bone makes it more likely to break in the future. Weightlifting and powerwalking (I guess...) don't create microfractures, they compress the bones, making them denser, which is what fights osteioperosis, but hey, maybe its different in your reality.

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Macistani
    KenpoDude, Breaking a bone makes it more likely to break in the future. Weightlifting and powerwalking (I guess...) don't create microfractures, they compress the bones, making them denser, which is what fights osteioperosis, but hey, maybe its different in your reality.
    Are you seriously claiming that powerlifting makes your bones shrink?
    KenpoDude is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 12:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by v1o
    Hitting hard objects worked for Mas Oyama, didnt the guy break a bull's horn?

The real advantage is that is such things destroy your nerves over time, you could hit anything as hard you want and no pain.
    Wing Chun w/ destroyed nerves? Interesting.

Like chi sao w/ Frankenstein.

Registered Member

I'm surrounded by farms in middle america.

Posted On:
    2/20/2005 1:24pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll
    Are you seriously claiming that powerlifting makes your bones shrink?
    KenpoDude is right.
    http://nydailynews.healthology.com/p...osteo_exercise

He was right about the powerwalking, note that the MD says that fractures==bad and that exercises increase bone density, not some non-sensical latticework of microfractures that'll give you arthrtus later in life and bane your bones easier to break in the future.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast