Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 11:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WSL Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by grond
    Thanks Tom. I have used all those methods as a matter of fact, but I think wall-bag training tops them, for hardening of the hands.
    You tried the iron fist/palm training yet with the sand?

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 11:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by v1o
    You tried the iron fist/palm training yet with the sand?
    v1o is Jim Lacy. It makes perfect sense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 11:40pm

Style: Sleeping / Studying

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who told you that you get athritis from hitting wall bags?

You wouldnt 80+ yr/old sifus still teaching if they did.

I'm sure you its inherited
    From: http://www.medcohealth.com/medco/con...ticleID=105650

Osteoarthritis

Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis. This condition involves a breakdown of joint cartilage, the part of the joint that cushions the ends of bones. When cartilage wears away, bones rub together, causing pain and loss of movement.

People of middle-age and older are most often affected by osteoarthritis. It accounts for approximately half of all office visits to doctors and other healthcare professionals for arthritis related joint problems. Osteoarthritis may cause a range of symptoms from short periods of joint stiffness to an inability to use the affected joint. The knees, hips, spine, neck, back as well as some joints in the hands and feet are most commonly affected.

Factors contributing to the development of osteoarthritis include:

Aging

Heredity

Obesity

Repetitive movement of a joint

Previous injury to a joint

Treatment for osteoarthritis is aimed at reducing pain and improving joint movement. Available options include exercise, medication, heat/cold therapy, joint protection, weight control, and surgery.

----

Therefore, we see that injuries to a joint is one of the causes of osteoarthritis. We cannot control the genes we inherit, but we sure can take care not to **** up our joints.
    Last edited by lwflee; 2/13/2005 11:43pm at .

**** you math class

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 11:45pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lifetime
    I don't know. Did they?

By the way are we talking Imperial Japanese Army circa 1930s or Samurai?
    I know for a fact that samurai didn't wear wooden armor, ever. I'm not why the sites quoted by Samurai Steve would say this, especially considering that wood doesn't stand up to spears or arrows; at least not in any quntity that a person could wear.

Japanese battlefield armor was always made out of leather or metal, with amounts of silk, every time forever.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    2/14/2005 12:03am

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How...how does a wall bag train you to punch at all? There's absolutely no feedback besides "Oops, I broke my wrist again!". A heavybag will cave in under a strong, sharp blow and just swing back from a push. A wall-mounted bag just sits there regardless of the type of blow dealt.

A wall pad provides no positional reference. You just stand in front of it and hit it over and over again. A good heavy bag sways and moves around like an actual person. A wall bag stands there and lets you chain punch it to your heart's content.

...which, now that I think about it, would make it ideal for a Wing Chun practioner.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    2/14/2005 12:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bingo

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    2/14/2005 12:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I disagree, pound for pound a well versed kung fu man can hit harder. I know, ive been thrown across rooms by their strikes.
    Did nobody see this?
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2005 12:10am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We try not to.

Posted On:
    2/14/2005 1:28am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of the goodness of my heart...don't use a wall bag.

If you don't believe that it's bad for your joints then for one you're just flat out wrong. I don't have a reference site off hand to tell you this, but using common sense if you hit something that doesn't move your joints are absorbing the impact full on. Not exactly scientific, but if you value your hands you should take it into consideration.

If you're concerned about it from a purely power development perspective a wall bag is a terrible idea. It gives you no feedback as to how you did. If you hit a heavy bag with a clean hard shot that you deliver with a natural ease then you know that it was a good shot and you should try and emulate that every time. But with a wall bag it remains static if you give it a womanly love tap or a Tysonesque knockout blow. You could think that you're doing poorly and in reality doing great, or the other way around.

I believe that a wall bag conditions your knuckles well, but I'm sure there are better ways. I've never really looked into it much myself, but punching a makiwara board or an abrassive surface (WITH GIVE) would just seem like it would naturally work. Furthermore having conditioned knuckles has little to nothing to do with punching power. Yes, if you are less afraid to make contact you have deliver a harder blow (much like a thai fighter with conditioned shins). On the other hand the actual contact made doesn't change at all if you're not afraid to hit full force to begin with.

You seem pretty set in your ways, but at least I tried.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    2/14/2005 1:46am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not that I'm condoning wall bag training... but they do have some give. Usually the filled portion is a couple inches thick, and will dent about an inch or so. It's not much...
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast