Do you seriously think they did?

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 11:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by grond
    What evidence is there that hitting bags gives you arthritis?
    Not "bags", you idiot. Wall-mounted sacks of rock will ruin your joints. Even the most hardcore makiwaras have a flexible stands so something gives when you hit it.

[This space for rent]

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 11:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's how I train to get 'harder' punches.

Punch a wall-bag over and over again. Apply dit ja jow. Repeat.

At my school we have two wall-bags, one filled with rice, one with rocks. I started on the one with rice, then worked my way up to the rock-filled bag after about 8 or 10 months.

Here's a drawing of a wall-bag, or 'sao bao' that I found. http://www.kungfu-videos.com/sao_bao_sketch.html

The point of this kind of training is to get your hands accustomed to punching hard objects, also to strengthen your wrists and punches in general.

So, do other schools have this kind of training? What different methods are there for getting similar results? I've heard of karate-style makiwara training, but don't know any details about it.

Ever tried a punching bag? punching dummy? sparring partner?

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 11:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Preemptive strike*: Wooden dummies don't count.

*lol wing chun principles

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 11:20pm

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
    Do you seriously think they did?
    I don't know. Did they?

By the way are we talking Imperial Japanese Army circa 1930s or Samurai?
    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all **** like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
    I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 11:21pm

Style: wingy chingy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Tom. I have used all those methods as a matter of fact, but I think wall-bag training tops them, for hardening of the hands.
    "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 11:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Tom. I have used all those methods as a matter of fact, but I think wall-bag training tops them, for hardening of the hands.
    How hard your hands are is of little consequence when you can't put any power behind them.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 11:27pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.shimakarate.com/history_karate.shtml

King Sho Shin (1477-1526) banned weapons in Okinawa in 1507 with his "Act of Eleven Distinctions". This is historically significant because it explains the upsurge in development of unarmed self-defense.14 An emphasis on hand conditioning developed because of the wooden armor worn by the occupying Japanese soldiers. Techniques came about because of local conditions and daily activities - in areas where agriculture was most common, the workers had strong arms and upper bodies - so arm and hand movements were emphasized. In Northern China, because of the common use of horses, the men's legs were strong, so they developed techniques using strong leg muscles - especially jumping and kicking. Also, without an effective police force to protect them, the peasants developed a way to use agricultural and domestic implements as weapons.
    http://whitecollarboxing.com/karthis.htm

One of the prerequisites for performing the sensational, bare-handed board-, brick-, and tile- breaking tricks is hand conditioning, which is achieved by striking hard surfaces until injury occurs. Scar tissue forms in the healing process. Eventually, the conditioned area becomes calloused, enlarged, and insensitive to pain. When karate was used as weaponless combat against an armed and armored enemy, hand conditioning was necessary to enable the bare hands of the karate fighter to break through wooden armor and deliver a single, incapacitating blow. Hand conditioning has no practical present-day function. Extreme hand conditioning injures and permanently disfigures the hands, as well as impairing manual dexterity. The damage is irreversible.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 11:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WSL Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai_steve
    Are you aware that the Japanese Army will not be charging your village wearing wooden armor anymore?

You've shown how you're on the road to permanently disfigure your hands for no practical reason in the modern day.

I'll repeat what Phrost and others have said: Professional Boxers (as in Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, etc) have the hardest and most powerful punches employed in a fighting context.
    I disagree, pound for pound a well versed kung fu man can hit harder. I know, ive been thrown across rooms by their strikes.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 11:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WSL Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lwflee
    Wouldn't you get arthristis or something?
    Who told you that you get athritis from hitting wall bags?

You wouldnt 80+ yr/old sifus still teaching if they did.

I'm sure you its inherited
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast