Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 6:16pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He seems to think that crostraining grappling and striking would make a fighter confused, that its superflous, and would "be the end of someone" as he put it. I don't really know how to go about telling him about how it does mesh together well, and that a good teacher helps explain... should I try to play off of the fact that you're just looking for an opening, and with both you can strike or grapple?

If anyone here has ever trained someone else it would be real helpful...

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 6:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your friend is the confused one. Fighting is fighting. All real fights are MMA. A hand is made to grab AND hit.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 6:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've trained ALOT of people. Your friend is really in the dark man. People will learn what you teach them. Everyone would just LOVE us to believe that martiala rts are this great complicated BEAST that takes a LIFETIME to master. Thats the biggest crock of **** going.

Ask your friend why humans are capable of studying sub-ataomic physics but the concept pf hitting someone and wrestling them is completely beyond our grasp.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 6:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tend to think its really more about you try to force him to play YOUR game - he is a bad striker, keep it upright and pound him and keep distance. If he can't grapple, keep pressure up and get tied up (for instance).

I don't really know how to explain it concisely. Maybe some Pride/UFC tapes are in order...

P.S. - I just remembered some people talking about how its hard to move from "striking" mode to "grappling mode". Guess some exercises for how to fully integrate the two are in order. But... doesn't clinching do the same already?

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...

Edited by - Nihilanthic on February 20 2003 17:55:05
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 6:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are sparring, or it's an arranged contest, then yeah, the chess playing, tactical thinking way of gauging weakness and using one's advantage is a great use of having a larger skill-set. If you are attacked in real life, well thought out tactics won't usually serve you because of the suddenness and directedness of the attack. But having a well rounded skill-set is invaluable in these circumstances too! You have to just react, but think of how sucky it would be to be hindered in a life or death (walking away or laying there, anyway)situation by having ONLY striking skills and experience or ONLY grappling skills and experience.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 7:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only way cross-training could confuse someone would be if you cross-trained BJJ and say... tennis :)

--------
    What would happen if a one hand clapper attempted to stop a tree falling in the woods when no one else was around?
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 7:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazillian Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard this line before. The tack the guy I heard it from took was that you want to try to ingrain the techniques so they require no thought to do (well, duh!). So if you train two arts with "opposing" strategies (say, WC and CLF), which one would come out when the **** hits the fan? His answer was that you'd end up with a mishmash technique that was neither and would be much less effective.

Pretty stupid argument, IMO. I mean, if you take techniques (styles) that compliment each other or act in different ranges, I can't see how this kind of conflict could occur. Since this is how you *should* be crosstraining, what's the argument?

Edited by - gong sau on February 20 2003 18:45:58
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "The difference between us, and other martial arts websites you might be looking for, is that we're not going to feed you, well, bullshit about martial arts."
    -Phrost

Titan

Posted On:
    2/21/2003 8:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's either extremely stupid, or just using it as an excuse so he doesn't have to bother training in anything decent.

You should train in striking, verticle grappling/takedowns and defense, and ground grappling.

What's confusing about that ?

----------------------------------------------------------
    The story of a woman on the morning of a war,
    Remind me if you will exactly what we're fighting for.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    2/21/2003 2:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OH MY GOD I CAN'T WALK AND CHEW GUM AT THE SAME TIME *head explodes*

Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    2/24/2003 2:34pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    don't worry everyone, just a small explosion

you friend is an idiot, just leave him in the dark, it's funny

--

Let me introduce you to my friends: Hand, Elbow and Knee.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast