230673 Bullies, 3988 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Do you think BJJ is just a fad?

Voters
1011. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

350 34.62%
  • No.

661 65.38%
Page 9 of 90 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112131959 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 12:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I'm new here.... so I'm curious, why would that, to me, obvious comment tend to spark a flame war? As far as I know, Kano taught Judo to Maeda, and Maeda to the Gracies."

BJJs techniques are laregly from judo.
    However judo trolls ignore a crucial fact.
    Maeda taught Carlos arounmd 1918.
    Sport BJJ was founded in 73.
    In the 55 years in between BJJ was Judo moves applied to Vale Tudo.
    Which strategically altered Judo alot.Much of BJJ was slipping under punches to enter to a clinch and striking from mount.Things definatly not found in Judo.
    When sport BJJ was invented it was judo techniques, but its point system makes clear that sport BJJ was an attempt to simulate a vale tudo fight.
    In other words when no one submitted the points were givin out in such a way as to give the match to who would have won were strikes involved.
    How well sport BJJ points suceeded in this job is a point for debate.But that sport BJJ is unique among grappling sports in that it was devised by men who had seen MMA fought and evolve over decades and who understood MMA very well.

To get good at MMA guys needed a way to practice a safe simulation of an MMA match for sparring.THIS is where sport BJJ came from.
    Judo came on the heels of not MMA matches, but of wars.Actual attempts of soldiers to kill each other.
    Kano drew techniques from many schools of Jujutsu, which were not run to turn out sport fighters, but rather soldiers.
    Having read Kanos writings extensively I never once saw him say that Judo was an attempt to safely simulate a fight so as to award to victory to who would have won had strikes been involved.
    BJJ trolls are fools to deny that bjj is very close to judo and draws from it enormously.
    Judo trolls are fools when they pretend BJJ is just Judo with different rules pulled out of some brazilians ass from nowhere.The brazilians had no bias toward ground.
    They just found that without referees to say "break" the ground is where real fights took them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 1:40pm

Style: aikido, taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong Machine
    BJJs techniques are laregly from judo.
    However judo trolls ignore a crucial fact.
    Maeda taught Carlos arounmd 1918.
    Sport BJJ was founded in 73.
    In the 55 years in between BJJ was Judo moves applied to Vale Tudo.
    Which strategically altered Judo alot.Much of BJJ was slipping under punches to enter to a clinch and striking from mount.Things definatly not found in Judo.
    When sport BJJ was invented it was judo techniques, but its point system makes clear that sport BJJ was an attempt to simulate a vale tudo fight.
    In other words when no one submitted the points were givin out in such a way as to give the match to who would have won were strikes involved.
    How well sport BJJ points suceeded in this job is a point for debate.But that sport BJJ is unique among grappling sports in that it was devised by men who had seen MMA fought and evolve over decades and who understood MMA very well.

To get good at MMA guys needed a way to practice a safe simulation of an MMA match for sparring.THIS is where sport BJJ came from.
    Judo came on the heels of not MMA matches, but of wars.Actual attempts of soldiers to kill each other.
    Kano drew techniques from many schools of Jujutsu, which were not run to turn out sport fighters, but rather soldiers.
    Having read Kanos writings extensively I never once saw him say that Judo was an attempt to safely simulate a fight so as to award to victory to who would have won had strikes been involved.
    BJJ trolls are fools to deny that bjj is very close to judo and draws from it enormously.
    Judo trolls are fools when they pretend BJJ is just Judo with different rules pulled out of some brazilians ass from nowhere.The brazilians had no bias toward ground.
    They just found that without referees to say "break" the ground is where real fights took them.
    Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 2:32pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll
    Yes, face down armbars are relitively common.
    You'd lose most of the side control submission but most stuff from the guard/ rear mount would still work.
    Its striking that would change the most.
    Hmm..unless it was striking from a clinch or some sort of hold position, wouldn't striking in zero-g be pretty moot? Since there's no friction to hold people still, Newton's law of "For Every Action there's an equal and opposite reaction." would kick in; meaning that if you try to strike hard you'll just end up pushing both you and your opponent away, blocking or not, and weak strike would be pointless anway.

Gah, we're getting o/t here.

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 2:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Asia has caught the correct.

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 2:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asia
    BOTH. If you really want to be well rounded. MMA competitions pointed out the many lack ground skills. Tons of real fight videos have shown fights can end up on the ground and the guy who doesn't know what to do there gets his ass kicked.
    I absolutely agree.

But....tons of feal fights do not look anything like MMA matches or challenge fights. I would anticipate that the next big thing will address some of those realities which BJJ does not adequately address (and, no, I don't believe it will be any any of the current RBSD schools).

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 2:56pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_fire
    No. Let's say you're right and what they were teaching then is the same as now but the focus, application of training methods and needs of the person were very different.

So... now you do BJJ because you've got a war that's fought with spears and swords to fight, your family to protect and thugs to fend off from your village?
    Well, I agree that BJJ specialization has gone beyond the constricts of regular jujitsu. But I have no problem seeing how jujitsu was helpful to any fighter or warrior. It's not like people would throw down their weapons and go for a choke. The most common weapon of a soldier, was the bow, then spear. Few ever used a sword in war really. At any rate I just thought you were exaggerating a little :angel1:
    More human than human is our motto.

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 3:33pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course it's a fad and a very useful one at that.

Cowardly Henchman

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 3:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatical
    Well, I agree that BJJ specialization has gone beyond the constricts of regular jujitsu. But I have no problem seeing how jujitsu was helpful to any fighter or warrior. It's not like people would throw down their weapons and go for a choke. The most common weapon of a soldier, was the bow, then spear. Few ever used a sword in war really. At any rate I just thought you were exaggerating a little :angel1:
    Spears were for commoners. Swords and bows were for warriors.

Jiu jitsu was for grappling with an opponent in a pitched battle. Of course you're not going to try and armbar an armoured samurai - nage-waza was for taking an opponent down, and osae-waza for holding him until one of your peasants comes along with a spear and kills him.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 3:42pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spears were for commoners. Swords and bows were for warriors.
    Off-topic, but that's not true. Spears were a more popular battlefield weapon that swords, because they're more suited for use on the battlefield. A spearmen tends to have a better than even chance of killing a swordsman.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 12:35am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for military groundwork, I am interested in the following:

By ground work, do you mean taking down and wrestling WITH the opponent on the ground for a relatively lengthy amount of time until one person wins (breaks opponent's limb, causes opponent topass out for whatever reason,etc.) or do you mean taking your opponent down with a technique that leaves you standing with leverage while youropponent is on the ground and otherwise lacking leverage (from which point you can also choose to break a limb, induce fainting, etc.)?

If it means the first, how often do you believe that said method would be used in actual military combat in a surrounding full ofhostliepeople, or for that matter in a bar fight?
    Both methods you have discribed were used. Example Asayama Ichiden Ryu has a set of seiza waza to wrestle the person down and apply a lock they were done for situations were bloodshed was taboo. Like in the audience of a superior. And many others have methods of downing an opponent and delivering a fatal blow with weapon or having another do it.

But....tons of feal fights do not look anything like MMA matches or challenge fights. I would anticipate that the next big thing will address some of those realities which BJJ does not adequately address (and, no, I don't believe it will be any any of the current RBSD schools).
    That is true. I just site the fight footage because it shows the attituded of one not being taken down is foolish. And I am really pushing for Zero Gravity fights next or something envoling cyborgs! :icon_bigg

Off-topic, but that's not true. Spears were a more popular battlefield weapon that swords, because they're more suited for use on the battlefield. A spearmen tends to have a better than even chance of killing a swordsman.
    MJS is da c0rR3t! Polearms were the kings of the battlefeild a sword was a secondary weapon.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 9 of 90 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112131959 ... LastLast