221364 Bullies, 3965 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Do you think BJJ is just a fad?

Voters
1009. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

349 34.59%
  • No.

660 65.41%
Page 89 of 90 FirstFirst ... 39798586878889 90 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/17/2010 5:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know what TMA stands for. But how do you categorize an art as traditional or not? Even some rex kwan do bullshit that was created last week will have traditions. Give me a definition that could be used to categorize arts that you haven't encountered already

What, in your mind, is it about karate or rkd that makes them "traditional?

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 12:10am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TMA - martial arts that train without aliveness.

Pretty much thats what people, myself included, think of TMA as.

Kyokushin is Karate but it doesn't suck because they spar. Tae Kwon Do does mostly suck though because there sparring is unrealistic and leads to poor habits.

Judo, BJJ, Sambo, Wrestling, Sanda, Kyokushiun, Boxing, Kickboxing and Muay Thai are all non-TMA. Pretty much any grappling form is not TMA.

Seriously u must be retarded or trolling trying to ask what makes something TMA. Live training, not TMA.

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 12:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's traditional about not sparring? All those arts you say are non tma have traditions, ram muay in muay thai, white pajamas and belts in kyokushin etc but somehow that doesn't count?

Seems like everyone who uses tma vs mma really means arts i like and arts i dont like

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 10:02am

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikishman View Post
    I'm not sure if your mocking me or not. I assume that you are. I was just answering the question that Lindz asked. Since he said "What means TMA?"
    Lindz is from B.C. - therefore he was trolling.

A simple sentence like yours, but like yours, not enough to be evaluated.

I'm not mocking you Mikishman, every word in TMA has had threads debating their seperate meaning, and adding all three to designate something higher is difficult.

My TKD is an art that in theory, traces its roots back thousands of years. TKD is almost brand new.

BJJ is a new art, but its roots trace back into traditional time, therefore a TMA. Even in the new art, the bias given to a Black Belt from Brazil, vs a home grown BB, harkens back to a loose sort of tradition.

I made sure to find a Japanese Judoka to learn my Judo from.

MMA could be a TMA, because the claimed lineage, the way of doing things. The training and building of a MMA champ, is now following in the tradition of others who have trained to fight MMA.

All this to say is that members in this site, have a long tradition of argueing regarding the martial arts.

:)

Posted On:
    2/08/2011 11:27am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think an art that has become almost prerequisite to success in top tier mma, could be, in any way construed as a fad.

A lot of people don't know the difference between a les paul, and a Telecaster, or a Strat, and a 335 model. They are not fad guitars, they are mainstays, as is BJJ in upper level fighting. It's just your average non martial arts loving person doesn't give a ****.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    2/08/2011 10:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is BJJ a fad? Maybe as we know it today. Martial arts are always changing, expanding, shifting. But I doubt BJJ will ever really vanish.

Also, food for thought, this thread was made six years ago, which is probably a good sign that it's not a fad.
    Last edited by Kickapoo; 2/08/2011 10:50pm at .
    "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2011 10:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (Zips up flame retardant suit)

I think "pure" BJJ is starting to have less and less to do with real fighting/MMA, with all the crazy guard pulling tactics, wacky gi gripping manuvers, and the tear inducing level of takedowns and throws being taught in many gyms.
    (Note to the reader: I am sure your gym has double legs taught by an Olympic freestyle wrestler. I am talking about EVERYONE ELSE'S gym)

Fad? It depends on what you mean by that. I think what we're going to wind up with is "BJJ for MMA" and "BJJ for the sake of BJJ" with the latter going the route of Tae Kwon Do, Wing Chun, etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2011 11:33am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian View Post
    Undoubtedly discussed before, but I felt it was time for an update and reaccessment of opinions.

Do you think BJJ is just a passing trend?
    i thinks it's just part of a bigger sport (mma) and people had no respect for it til the gracies were spanking pure strikers in the earlier ufc's...just my opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2011 11:34am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    (Zips up flame retardant suit)

I think "pure" BJJ is starting to have less and less to do with real fighting/MMA, with all the crazy guard pulling tactics, wacky gi gripping manuvers, and the tear inducing level of takedowns and throws being taught in many gyms.
    (Note to the reader: I am sure your gym has double legs taught by an Olympic freestyle wrestler. I am talking about EVERYONE ELSE'S gym)

Fad? It depends on what you mean by that. I think what we're going to wind up with is "BJJ for MMA" and "BJJ for the sake of BJJ" with the latter going the route of Tae Kwon Do, Wing Chun, etc.
    true about the gi grabbing. i noticed alot of pure bjj guys rely heavily on that.

Posted On:
    3/04/2011 11:45am

Style: HKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything thing is a fad at one point in time, doesnt make something useless.