228080 Bullies, 4516 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Do you think BJJ is just a fad?

Voters
1011. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

350 34.62%
  • No.

661 65.38%
Page 87 of 90 FirstFirst ... 37778384858687 888990 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/15/2009 11:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how can it be a fad? hardly anyone knows about it, and most of the people who know about it think it's gay. if you could call it a fad for all the dorks in their tapout and affliction gear, then i wish it would fade a lot faster.

as far as going the way of tma, i don't see that happening because it works, and it's been proven over and over. it can't be propped up by mysticism, because it's all on video. sparring and competition is an integral part of training, so you'll never have to hear any of that death touch crap, and i can't imagine an angry gymnastics demo to the mortal kombat song as a way to exhibit bjj skills.

for the few that understand and do it, it's in their blood. a lot of those people who just know about it will forget, but they were never involved to begin with.

Posted On:
    3/15/2009 5:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tennessee View Post
    how can it be a fad?
    Not to worry. Few see it that way.

Current science has informed us that it's not a choice, but an orientation. Those who are 'that way' cannot help it.

Other than a vocal minority of religious bigots, the rest of us got the message a long time ago.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    3/15/2009 10:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those who are "that way"? You make it sound like we were born with a disease! Next you'll be looking for the cure! My lifestyle choice (CHOICE) is my own to make!

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 8:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy View Post
    Those who are "that way"? You make it sound like we were born with a disease! Next you'll be looking for the cure! My lifestyle choice (CHOICE) is my own to make!
    What?

"Orientation" equals "Disease"?!?

Uh-oh, you're right.

I should have written "this way", not "that way".

Damn: god-fearing crypto-fundie ol' Vieux has just been outed

*marches off to thump bibles via street-corner shrieks*

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 11:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's necro the **** out of this thread.

Hey, I got an idea. How about:

"Is the internet just a fad?"

discuss..
    More human than human is our motto.

Posted On:
    3/16/2009 8:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Not to worry. Few see it that way.

Current science has informed us that it's not a choice, but an orientation. Those who are 'that way' cannot help it.

Other than a vocal minority of religious bigots, the rest of us got the message a long time ago.

not sure i follow. i'm not talking about gay people or homosexuality. i'm talking about people who don't do bjj, and why they don't. most people think you have to be gay to want to roll around on a mat with other dudes. that's just the way our society is (think about when a ufc fight goes to the ground or a clinch, how many times you hear the budweiser crowd asking "why are they hugging each other?"). but as far as i can tell, the people who do bjj are generally too concerned with the next technique to concern themselves with how it might look to someone else.

i also think some people might say it's gay just to make themselves feel better about not having the balls to try it themselves.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 9:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really think it's a fad.

But I do think that, at the time it came out, it exposed a critical weakness, and that was a severe lack of grappling (well Dan Severn did the same thing too, but BJJ managed to steal a lot of the credit).

Boxing, and karate too, had become what most people thought of when they heard the word "martial arts". Seriously fighting on the ground wasn't something that had crossed a lot of peoples minds. Then BJJ comes along and dominates people in the UFC and everyone is freaking out.

If you wanted to learn how to fight on the round, well BJJ was winning, so the obvious choice was to go for BJJ. But as the years went by, ANYONE who knew how to wrestle or handle themselves on the ground was doing better.

So it's not that it's a fad, but when it came out it re introduced balance. Things were leaning too far one way (lots of stand up, not enough striking), and BJJ splashed the cold water on everyone's face.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    4/28/2009 10:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hontouso View Post
    (summarizes last 20 years of MMA's developemnt)

Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 9:36pm

Style: ShinKyokushin/Shitoryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know it had been a long time since last post, but I want to state my opinion...

I voted yes. BJJ is a fad just like Karate back in the day. People, I believe, will eventually move on to all-rounded grappling, like how karate moved on to full contact kickboxing.

Even if it is still called BJJ, like how some kickboxing schools still teach "fighting karate" it will not be the same thing.

BJJ is a part of grappling that has hole, so are many forms of wrestling, a complete grappling art will evolve and BJJ taught alone will be obsolete. Adding good Judo and wrestling takedowns in BJJ classes not taught by the Gracies is a step towards that, filling holes.

"traditional" BJJ schools will fall out of favour.

Posted On:
    1/04/2010 10:53pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aznraven View Post
    I know it had been a long time since last post, but I want to state my opinion...

I voted yes. BJJ is a fad just like Karate back in the day. People, I believe, will eventually move on to all-rounded grappling, like how karate moved on to full contact kickboxing.

Even if it is still called BJJ, like how some kickboxing schools still teach "fighting karate" it will not be the same thing.

BJJ is a part of grappling that has hole, so are many forms of wrestling, a complete grappling art will evolve and BJJ taught alone will be obsolete. Adding good Judo and wrestling takedowns in BJJ classes not taught by the Gracies is a step towards that, filling holes.

"traditional" BJJ schools will fall out of favour.
    Can I ask what exactly you have in mind when you say "Traditional BJJ school?" Are you thinking that in a "traditional" BJJ school that learning standup grappling is discouraged? Because I hope that isn't the case.

When it comes to standup grappling techniques in BJJ, things like throws and reaps aren't exactly "discouraged" but more along the lines of "not having an official syllabus." I'll admit that standup may not be as focused upon in class when compared to Judo or Wrestling, however, it's not to say that it's never touched upon in class or even practiced especially when a lot of BJJ instructors (at least in my part of the U.S.) will have a background in Wrestling or Judo.

How would the inclusion of standup technique in BJJ disqualify it from being BJJ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.