228317 Bullies, 4263 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Do you think BJJ is just a fad?

Voters
1011. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

350 34.62%
  • No.

661 65.38%
Page 86 of 90 FirstFirst ... 36768283848586 87888990 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 2:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True. But Samboistas and BJJers will have very different styles of fighting in MMA as well. Also, it's not just the techniques themselves, but the training methodology. It also depends on which Sambo you're talking about.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 2:19am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesnt matter, submission wrestling in any form is here to stay for good. BJJ was the first in the minds of the people and thats the reason it will be top dawg over Sambo and catch as catch can. But on a whole, grappling is here to stay as long as MMA is.

Don't get yer panties in a bunch because Sambo will never reach the popularity of BJJ. Sambo cant come in and beat everyone up, Royce already did that in UFC 1 in the minds of everybody in the public.

blotter art.

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 11:02am

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed.

Edit: although, technically, that's basically what fedor is doing. Of course, he would be doing that if he did BJJ too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 11:17am

Style: MMA/Army Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere
    MEGA THREADS TIME!!!!

Oh and I still say BJJ is a FAD.

FAD =/= BAD, Ineffecitive, or will disapear.
    Oddly enough I agree with Gezere. BJJ is a great style, and has skills that will always be important to train. BJJ does not have a monoply on said skills, no one style does. That being said I'd love to have the time to train with a hard rolling BJJ school. The local Combatives class doesn't quite cover it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2008 12:09am

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A friend of mine said something interesting today. He said that he thinks that the recent spike of interest in BJJ has caused western wrestling styles to become more popular again. I don't know if this is true, but it sounds like it could be.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    11/04/2008 2:40am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's true. The rise of BJJ also made other fighting styles popular, especially for those who wanted to "defeat" BJJ. I quote defeat because now people realize you need it all but at first people wanted to find a style to beat another style.

BJJ guys made an interest in folk style wrestling outside of high school and college. be fore BJJ, there were some local clubs that you could go to, but if you didn't wrestle in high school, you weren't wrestling in college and definitely not in the Olympics. Now BJJ schools hire wrestlers to teach takedowns and sprawls and everything else wrestling.

I guess you could say that MMA in general gave new life to lots of martial arts, BJJ being the biggest, but wrestling, Judo, kcikboxing and boxing all took new lifes in MMA.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 6:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun/Judo/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its a fad. Fights never go to the ground. Grapplers can never take me to the ground. I will finish them in the stand up game before they clinch. Its the truth. Believe me. Knife hand chop to the neck and its all over. Especially if you scream when you do it. The screaming makes your attack at least 80% stronger and makes the opponent wet themselves with fear. i vote yes because this is what the majority of people believe, thus it must be real. Ground fighting also gets your clothes dirty. Grass stains on your Gi are hard to get out, so why invite effort to cleaning your PJ's?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 2:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NO...

I voted that BJJ isn't a fad. I believe it is on the verge of getting even bigger. With all of the sport tournaments that are pretty common now I think it has a great chance of making it into the Olympic games sooner than later. On top of that it has been proven to be a effective martial art even if you don't choose to compete (as I do). Even with the rise in MMA style schools, I believe there will be some that will seek to improve their "ground game" with dedicated BJJ no gi at first and then go to the gi as they get older and want to practice a more somewhat traditional martial art. I also look at it like this. Japanese Jujitsu, Judo, greco roman wrestling, karate, and kung fu is still around. They have been around for centuries so why would another effective art be a fad?

Posted On:
    3/08/2009 8:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I certainly hope it isn't a fad. I voted no.

I've seen a rising majority of people I know suddenly become aware of (sometimes interested in) grappling because of the Gracie fights. Instead of being a fad, I hope the rise of BJJ in the public awareness is the herald of a new public appreciation for all Martial Arts.
    Last edited by LaconicGuy; 3/08/2009 8:10pm at .

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    3/10/2009 8:49am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh ****! It's 2005!!. I heard Microsoft made a new Xbox, called the Xbox360. Haters say it's called the 360 because when you see it, you turn 360 degrees and walk away. But I'm definitely gonna get one anyway. Looks awesome.

Seeing how the thread originated in 2005. I think we by now can safely say that BJJ WAS not just a fad.
    More human than human is our motto.