218358 Bullies, 5409 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Do you think BJJ is just a fad?

Voters
1009. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

349 34.59%
  • No.

660 65.41%
Page 83 of 90 FirstFirst ... 33737980818283 84858687 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 12:14am

Style: Movement

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's the ify part. I'll check it out, but I live on Maui. We have a community college, but it doesn't seem to be very sports oriented. I mean, well, my brother goes there for his construction classes to get his journeyman's degree yknow? The university is on another island. I've grown really skeptical of the clubs around here, which is prejudice I admit. But for good example, the main martial arts store owner sold me an unfilled combat sports banana back for $177 tax included. It seemed like a good deal, until I found out that it wasn't the "leather" one, but the powerhide that goes for $140 on the net.

Plus you got the racist factor. I don't let it effect my feelings towards the "locals," but one of the guys I am training with visited a local Muay Thai club and wanted to join, they just told him they wouldn't because he would break his nose. It's a damn shame really, because the island seems to be big on the mma scene, but if your a white guy who isn't already a bad ass with some marketability, your not considered "in" unless your born and raised here.

I don't mean to go on and bitch, I'm definately taking your advice and hitting up the community college. I'm just saying that you guys seem to be the only people in 3,000 miles who can or even would want to teach me anything.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 12:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh P.S to Doa. Haha I know it was a little extreme. I meant "styles" because I have a strict philosophy against the concept of styles. What I really meant was that BJJ has made it's mark, and is in the room of "styles" that are constantly studying each other, trying to come up with solutions and hybrids and etc.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 12:29am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphaltuus
    I don't mean to go on and bitch, I'm definately taking your advice and hitting up the community college. I'm just saying that you guys seem to be the only people in 3,000 miles who can or even would want to teach me anything.
    So it's a question of limited resources. I understand.

As an alternative, you cannot go wrong with Judo. Judo is usually around when nothing else good is. As a youth, the other martial art I wish I could have been exposed to is Judo.

In summary, if it's available from a credible source, take Judo.

Edit: Also there may be good Kajukenpo available. I'll PM Patfromlogan to help you out. He has Kajukenpo experience from the islands.
    Last edited by jnp; 5/27/2008 12:32am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 3:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took some time to do a little research on Kajukenpo. I like what I saw for the most part and like the roots. I'm happy you replied with the Judo, turns out they have some kind of wrestling class around here is at the community center, but they canceled the all ages seminars and only go up to 18 now. In any case I was given an opinion on the newbie thread I started (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...9#post1821449).

Guy basically says that BJJ and Judo should make up for wrestling. Kind of skeptical, but I guess there's not too much harm in trying right?

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 4:10pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh P.S to Doa. Haha I know it was a little extreme. I meant "styles" because I have a strict philosophy against the concept of styles. What I really meant was that BJJ has made it's mark, and is in the room of "styles" that are constantly studying each other, trying to come up with solutions and hybrids and etc.
    I have many styles listed because I have not found any ONE to meet all my objectives, I am also curious of what lies out there.

Good luck in the your anti-style philosophy. You might want to keep mum on that when searching for styles, at least at first.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2008 5:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I meant "styles" because I have a strict philosophy against the concept of styles.
    To correct myself from earlier, my philosophy is not against style formation and creation, it's against style confinement. I feel a connection with your search for multiple styles in what I imagine would be a collection of truth and filtering of falicy.

I understand that rigorous practitioners of martial arts who are themselves perhaps known for being highly adept at one style most likely train themselves at least one (if not multiple) style besides that. Through this light, I find an importance in stylization as a reference to a specific set of conditions and area of combat situations. In that light, I am actually thankful that I don't have to run around and train with hundreds of people to collect all of the knowledge that a single art would teach me.

If you wouldn't mind I would appreciate if you took a look at my newbie post and gave me your insight into my initial plans.

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 4:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think BJJ is popular because the way it rose to fame was through "proof" that it would win ring fights consistently.

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 3:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I voted no. BJJ is certainly the MA de jour, but it's effective, and the training imparts a lifelong skill.

support @ www.wbdigi.com
    support @ wbdigi.com

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 4:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fact that this pole started in 2005 and BJJ is just as popular if not more popular should answer this question... It was popular when I started it in 2000 (and long before that but I am just going from what I have seen personally) and attendance keeps on rising.
    Last edited by Student; 8/16/2008 4:50pm at . Reason: added some additonal info - nothing exciting

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 3:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJnoob,kickboxing(hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I voted no.

As a judoka I admire their groundwork and level of submission knowledge. I always thought my groundwork was passable (not good by any means, but passable) until I rolled with BJJ players.

It was a great experience, and I can really see why it's so effective. It's a practical martial art as it's practiced in competition, and with gi/no gi. It works well in the ring, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't contribute to SD skills just as much as any other combat sport/ competition style MA