223530 Bullies, 3753 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Do you think BJJ is just a fad?

Voters
1010. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

350 34.65%
  • No.

660 65.35%
Page 8 of 90 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011121858 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 8:07am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Shuma-Gorath again.

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 8:30am

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden
    Ahh, but in a zero g fight the flying armbar will destory all!!

Would an armbar actually work in Zero G? Could you get enough leverage?

I can realistically see a RNC working. That's about it.
    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all **** like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
    I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 9:49am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as famous BJJ players, like Rodrigo Nogeira or any of the Gracies, continue to win in MMA competitions, BJJ will stay popular. It's a matter of staying in the public eye.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing, but I can remember trying to look for a BJJ dojo where I lived when I lived in the States and not being able to find one.

I don't care so much about popularity. But what I do care about is being able to find a good BJJ dojo wherever I go.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 10:21am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel it's very effective and definitely has its uses, but there is definitely a big fad of it going around, kind of like the old karate craze back in the day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 10:22am

Style: searching

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaychiu
    The UFC and Pride have proven you need ground skills and people will now always train in it.
    That you need ground skills for what, fighting or UFC/Pride?

By the way, nice to meet you guys.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidHunter
    That you need ground skills for what, fighting or UFC/Pride?
    BOTH. If you really want to be well rounded. MMA competitions pointed out the many lack ground skills. Tons of real fight videos have shown fights can end up on the ground and the guy who doesn't know what to do there gets his ass kicked.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lifetime
    Would an armbar actually work in Zero G? Could you get enough leverage?
    Yes, face down armbars are relitively common.
    You'd lose most of the side control submission but most stuff from the guard/ rear mount would still work.
    Its striking that would change the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 11:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asia
    BOTH. If you really want to be well rounded. MMA competitions pointed out the many lack ground skills. Tons of real fight videos have shown fights can end up on the ground and the guy who doesn't know what to do there gets his ass kicked.
    Well, I guess you've kind of picked my curiosity then. How is it that ground-fighting is relatively new and hasent been widely used before? Or has it? If militaries have been teaching ground fighting for centuries (which I'm not sure they have) then that would make BJJ not a fad. However, ifit issomething relativelynew or otherwise uncommon that was only brought to popularity by purely one-on-one...fights...like those in the UFC/Pride, that could give ground to the Fad claim.

I would say that while ground-fighting techniques have existed for a long time, they were not famous in the way that they are in the UFC/Pridecircuit because they would be used less in a really dangerous situation as a last resort, whilethe opposite seems true for UFC/Pride fights. So whether it is a fad or not depends on how you are looking at it.
    Last edited by VoidHunter; 2/12/2005 11:12am at .

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 11:20am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidHunter
    Well, I guess you've kind of picked my curiosity then. How is it that ground-fighting is relatively new and hasent been widely used before? Or has it? If militaries have been teaching ground fighting for centuries (which I'm not sure they have) then that would make BJJ not a fad. However, ifit issomething relativelynew or otherwise uncommon that was only brought to popularity by purely one-on-one...fights...like those in the UFC/Pride, that could give ground to the Fad claim.

I would say that while ground-fighting techniques have existed for a long time, they were not famous in the way that they are in the UFC/Pridecircuit because they would be used less in a really dangerous situation as a last resort, whilethe opposite seems true for UFC/Pride fights.
    It not a poll asking is GROUNDFIGHTING a fad but is BJJ a fad.

No ground fighting is not new. Its often taken the backseat to other techniques but they were still taught. Go to ejmas site and you can fight articles from the turn of the 20th century about grappling methods vs striking. From about the late 60s with the influx of Kung Fu and Karate movies grappling and ground fighting were dismissed. Many pple thought if you can't fight like Bruce Lee or Sonny Chiba you weren't a badass.Then came the 80s with the NINJA BOOM. Pple still grappled but they were the minority.

As for the military, wrestling was a main means of training troops for Greek and Roman armies. Along with the weapon work. German soliders were taught KAMPFRINGEN (combat wrestling) along with the sword and other weapons. Russians are known for their wrestling. Oldest records we know of depicting a fighting system show grappling techniques that wer found in Africa. So again groundfighting isn't a fad but BJJ can still be one.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 11:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asia
    It not a poll asking is GROUNDFIGHTING a fad but is BJJ a fad.
    The poll asks about BJJ. I find the most popular and defining element of BJJ to be its ground fighting techniques. Thus, any serious consideration of whether BJJ is a fad or not that neglects to examine BJJ's most defining characteristic would be a flawin the integrity of my decision.

As for military groundwork, I am interested in the following:

By ground work, do you mean taking down and wrestling WITH the opponent on the ground for a relatively lengthy amount of time until one person wins (breaks opponent's limb, causes opponent topass out for whatever reason,etc.) or do you mean taking your opponent down with a technique that leaves you standing with leverage while youropponent is on the ground and otherwise lacking leverage (from which point you can also choose to break a limb, induce fainting, etc.)?

If it means the first, how often do you believe that said method would be used in actual military combat in a surrounding full ofhostliepeople, or for that matter in a bar fight?

Get where I am going? Depending on the history of groundfighting OR BJJ as a whole, one can be the fad, both can, or neither can. Also, there is the environment in which the two are used which I feel contributes to this but I have to go eat now.
Page 8 of 90 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011121858 ... LastLast