222007 Bullies, 3907 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Do you think BJJ is just a fad?

Voters
1009. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

349 34.59%
  • No.

660 65.41%
Page 79 of 90 FirstFirst ... 29697576777879 8081828389 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    1/01/2008 2:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadonblade
    every fight starts standing even if most end on the ground.
    Plagiarized or borrowed from Helio's textbook?
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Posted On:
    1/26/2008 8:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I voted yes

I only said yes because I think it won't stay as popular as it is right now. A lot of people are trying it, and once they find out how hard it is, they drop out (or so I've been told). I don't think BJJ will go away, I'm planning on training real soon.

Posted On:
    2/06/2008 5:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, BJJ (and MMA) are fads, but this doesn't make them bad per se. Most of the main styles have gone through a period of time where people thought they were the new flavor of the month ultimate unbeatable martial art.

BJJ has some good things going for it, so when the next new thing comes out and people sign up for it in droves, many other people will still want to do BJJ, much like people still practice Boxing, Karate, and Kung Fu today even though it's no longer the 30s, 60s, or 70s respectively.

BJJ is just about due for someone to make a couple of really bad movies around it, spawning a bunch of disreputable schools/instructors looking to cash in on the craze.

There, now I don't have to deal with that annoying wall of text telling me I haven't posted before. Mission accomplished.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    2/06/2008 7:05pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA
    Plagiarized or borrowed from Helio's textbook?
    Lol no I was just trying to be sage like. Did he actually say that? :flipando:

Posted On:
    2/09/2008 5:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I voted no because, while a bonafide noob and really know nothing, my own experience with my own instructor demonstrates the "self policing" described earlier in the thread.

Fads come and go and with UFC popularity growing/replacing boxing in the American fighting psyche, BJJ ain't goin' nowhere. My class is balls to the wall cardio and stretching for the first 20 minutes, then about 30 minutes of takedowns and 3-4 techniques - all done at a fairly quick pace - with 20-30 minutes of fighting for grips, takedowns, breaking guard and practicing the night's teachings. As long as other schools follow a similar course, it will keep out alot of people looking for a quick route to MA success (black belt) and grow at a calm pace.

However, I do think, in the long run and if UFC, Pride, etc...grow even more in popularity, "BJJ schools" will need to incorporate striking more, via supplemental classes in a striking-focused art to appeal to newcomers who see that on TV and become truly dedicated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2008 10:59am

Style: None, but looking.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, beacuse it will eventually lose the "Wow!-factor". Traditional western boxing and wrestling is no less effective than during its heyday. But it seems a bit old. Even boxers and wrestlers hardly consider themselves to do MA.
    Last edited by Father Dagon; 2/10/2008 11:03am at .

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    2/17/2008 5:21pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A fad would mean it would go away.

Its going to cement itself in time just like boxing and wrestling. So long as BJJ stays a part of MMA (and I dont see submissions going anywhere) BJJ will be around.

Your average Joe may no longer be wowed by it, but its still gonna stay around. Just like boxing and wrestling.

Posted On:
    2/28/2008 10:22am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hesitantly voted yes being that the -popular- people's perception of BJJ is a fad and will go away. The actual valued style itself will not and, hopefully allow its more serious practitioners to show its good in the MA/MMA community.

Posted On:
    3/29/2008 7:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I said no for this reason. while it is considered brazilian jiu-jitsu, it is still jiu-jitsu.
    jiu-jitsu has been around long before gelio and will be long after. the notoriety came from watching roice gracie take on guys 2x his size and winning.
    but long before UFC I was watching another jiu-jitsu master by the name of
    professor Wally J. in alameda california. he is a humble man but an extrordinary competitor and holds numorous world titles in jiu-jits and judo.
    this is another individual who has taken the traditional art and tweaked it. he calls his jiu-jitsu Small Circle jiu-jitsu focusing on the smaller joints but also working on the traditional chokes, arm bars and the rest.
    just my .o2

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/30/2008 11:18am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbilkungfu
    words, a lot of them.
    Stale tirade, 2/10. Before I read this post, I thought you might actually believe what you type.