222066 Bullies, 3704 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Do you think BJJ is just a fad?

Voters
1009. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

349 34.59%
  • No.

660 65.41%
Page 78 of 90 FirstFirst ... 28687475767778 7980818288 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2007 8:26am

Style: musabetsu kakuto & booj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you're wrong... rickson is a GOD... royce is just an underling

Posted On:
    4/14/2007 5:40pm

Style: Phucking Phrost

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :new_cussi HERETIC! BLASPHEMER! you dare Question the almighty Royce Gracie!
    you are here by senteced to the 9th circle of hell where you shall be ass-raped by TaeKwondoists for the rest of eternity!

ALL HAIL ROYCE GRACIE!

:bowdown:

may he forgive your trepasses as he armlocks your ass.

(:icon_tong I'm just kidding Rickson Gracie is pretty badass too)

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 1:57pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, BJJ is not a fad.

As others have pointed out, Kung Fu, Karate, and *especially* Kung Fu were fads. They've de facto faded out of popularity among the serious of martial artists.

BJJ, however, as others have also pointed out, is going to probably go the way of Judo. It's going to become a more stable, mature, 'accepted' art than now. Judo once was the **** to everyone, but eventually decreased with all the hype, but now Judo is the world's second most practiced sport - after soccer.

BJJ is going to go that way - no longer all the TUF noob, "WOW, you do BJJ so you MUST be sweet!"

Master of the Shrimp

Posted On:
    8/17/2007 2:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Karate has been around a long time. Millions of years.
    But these things are fads and not fads. Most people right now, it is a fad. They will do Bjj until they go on to poker or whatever. Some it will never be a fad. They will do it for as long as they live

But this is the way it has always been right?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2007 7:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i voted no. i think bjj has opened everyone's eyes to the importance of ground fighting skills. it has spawned a brand new, and very popular, sport (mma) and it has also spawned a new consciousness in what is being tauht in tma dojos everywhere. many tma schools are now implementing ground fighting techniques into the curriculum on a regular basis.

i do believe that bjj popularity will taper off as standing k.o.'s become more and more frequent in the ufc and some of its weaknesses get exposed on youtube amateur streetfight videos. i think it will eventually go through a "humbling" period as it has humbled other tma's in the past. and once it 'gets over itself' it will adapt and incorporate more striking and takedown techniques into its curriculum.

in the end... just as bjj has spawned a sport of mma, it will also spawn hybrid tma's.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 3:39pm

Style: Boxing, Greco, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I voted no. The current boom will die down, but bjj has still much to offer. Outside MA world, your average joe public is still pretty clueless as far as grappling is concerned and does not really understand what happens in bjj if (s)he sees it on a vid - as compared to K1, MT or other upright disciplines - IMO this alone prevents the sport gaining massive popularity. Bjj is not very specator friendly to n00bs. Wether this is a good thing or not, I really have no opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 5:02pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofudog
    I voted no. The current boom will die down, but bjj has still much to offer. Outside MA world, your average joe public is still pretty clueless as far as grappling is concerned and does not really understand what happens in bjj if (s)he sees it on a vid - as compared to K1, MT or other upright disciplines - IMO this alone prevents the sport gaining massive popularity. Bjj is not very specator friendly to n00bs. Wether this is a good thing or not, I really have no opinion.
    I'd disagree.. Real wrestling has been made popular by the pituatary-asshole TV wrestling, and Judo has always been one of the more popular MAs in the public eye.

I voted no, because of mostly the same reasons others have put. It's current popularity will fade, in general and possibly in the MMA scene, but I think it will remain an effective and active grappling/groundfighting MA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 8:12pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I voted 'No' I would say it was a fad in the mid 90's when it burst on to the scene and became popular due to early UFC success, but NOW it is accepted as an essential part of the MMA mix and has evolved with the sport of MMA. So now it definitely not a fad.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 10:07pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ black belts will get KTFO often as they have been but they will also humiliate those unaware. The true winners are those that heed the ground but learn to be well rounded. I dont there is a pure ground fighter today/ever that can survive on the mat in a pure 1 dimensional sense, every fight starts standing even if most end on the ground.

Master of the Shrimp

Posted On:
    1/01/2008 2:03am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bjj and people adapt. A lot of Bjj guys know wrestling and/or judo and have good takedowns( some do not but most do). The thing is Bjj is not going away