223804 Bullies, 3664 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Do you think BJJ is just a fad?

Voters
1010. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

350 34.65%
  • No.

660 65.35%
Page 70 of 90 FirstFirst ... 20606667686970 7172737480 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 11:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ is a fad because it doesn't account for or allow for wedgies or the dreaded purple nurple.

Royce would have tapped to my purple nurple!!!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/13/2006 12:03pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    BJJ is a fad because it doesn't account for or allow for wedgies or the dreaded purple nurple.

Royce would have tapped to my purple nurple!!!
    BJJ is a fad because it doesn't allow the tittie twister, the wee wee drag, or the infamous tickling feather to the armpit :viking:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/31/2006 3:50am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Comon now. I do BJJ. Yes, it does look gay. But Yes, you must be fucking 8 years old to not be comfortable enoughw ith your sexuality to be a fan of martial arts and think BJJ is for fags.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/31/2006 8:21am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ is for fags, plain and simple.

That's why our resident lesbian couple does Muay Thai instead.

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 1:36pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nord
    BJJ is a fad because it doesn't allow moves that would be used in a real fight, like headbutts. Also, it lacks the spiritual ideals of more advanced martial arts.
    Without even going into the meat of "what is allowed and what is not".

Even if we take your statement to be 100% correct, no style utilizes 100% of the techniques others do, if they did they would be the same style. No style is 100% comprehensive.

I'm not even going to get into the spiritual issue, wait wait, so by that logic does that mean that training in a european martial art, learning to use the weapons of the day was not effective in a streetfight in 1500's because there was no spirituality in learning to kill someone with a rapier or backsword?

What the **** does spirituality have to do with learning a technique?

Are we supposed to prey that our strikes hit, or prostrate ourselves before some mythical bieng prior to executing a takedown?

I didn't realize that prayer added to your effectiveness in a fight.

Does it do anything for blocking?

Can I prey that punches wont hit me?

that would be much easier than actually defending physically.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2006 1:56pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto Blutarsky
    Without even going into the meat of "what is allowed and what is not".

Even if we take your statement to be 100% correct, no style utilizes 100% of the techniques others do, if they did they would be the same style. No style is 100% comprehensive.

I'm not even going to get into the spiritual issue, wait wait, so by that logic does that mean that training in a european martial art, learning to use the weapons of the day was not effective in a streetfight in 1500's because there was no spirituality in learning to kill someone with a rapier or backsword?

What the **** does spirituality have to do with learning a technique?

Are we supposed to prey that our strikes hit, or prostrate ourselves before some mythical bieng prior to executing a takedown?

I didn't realize that prayer added to your effectiveness in a fight.

Does it do anything for blocking?

Can I prey that punches wont hit me?

that would be much easier than actually defending physically.
    DAMN!! All good points hit on the head.
    Dude, you're in NYC too. PM me, I need training partners!!

Posted On:
    8/27/2006 4:25pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I voted no, because MA's that had their prime before and fallen low like karate and kung fu which used to be very well taught and popular and competitions were commonly full contact or close to it, their training invariably comes from a combo of both self kihon and kata plus fighting while BJJ needs a partner to work and has a very big focus on competition for ranking and other things (and is still very effective of t3h str34t) so unless someone finds a way to make BJJ training solitary kata-bullshido then it won't just go away.

Maybe is US Suburbia and White-trashtown other MA's will be more popular but for those like us who take MA a bit more seriously and for those who compete BJJ will remain a force to be reconed with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2006 12:16pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I posted yes because, despite BJJ's effectiveness and training methodology, its popularity IS a fad. It is the current trend, the "hip" art. Once a movie star or MMA champion comes along with a dynamic personality and noteworthy art, people will hype about that one.

The marketing of the Gracies has been THAT good, that it has stretched the life of the hype. Eventually the hype will die and you will be left with a damn good art, but the arrogant trappings of doing the "hip" thing (and hopefully the people that go with it) will fall by the wayside.

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 2:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: WC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaychiu
    Not sure what you mean by fad but BJJ will be around for a long time. The UFC and Pride have proven you need ground skills and people will now always train in it.
    UFC and Pride have only proven you need ground skills in competition. I dont know about other people but every fight Ive been in never went to the ground.

Posted On:
    9/14/2006 6:52pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outside44
    UFC and Pride have only proven you need ground skills in competition. I dont know about other people but every fight Ive been in never went to the ground.
    Behold, two WC Masters failing at not going to the ground:

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/sho...to/513/cat/523

If those two couldn't stay off the floor, I seriously doubt *you* would stay off the floor against someone who was determined to put you there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb1 View Post

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.