223523 Bullies, 4600 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Do you think BJJ is just a fad?

Voters
1010. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

350 34.65%
  • No.

660 65.35%
Page 61 of 90 FirstFirst ... 11515758596061 6263646571 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 8:27am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honor
    BJJ was too popular for its own good but if you haven't noticed, the wrestlers have already made their way to the top now. Matt Hughes, Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture, Tito Ortiz, Saku, Rich Franklin--all were wrestlers. The Judoka Yoshida in his first grappling match choked out the great Royce Gracie. Diego Sanchez, a wrestler who learned grappling from a video store clerk (who himself learned from instructional tapes) has beaten several BJJ black belts.
    Sorry but all these people have BJJ training. Matt Hughes is trained by Jeremy Horn, Chuck Liddell has a blue belt in BJJ, Tito Ortiz is trained by Fabiano Iha, Rich Franklin is trained by Jorge Gurgel. Yoshida weighs 30 pounds more than Royce Gracie does! Diego fights often from the guard, don't tell me that's from wrestling? They might not put on paper that they are BJJers but BJJ has touched and cemented itself in the MMA world no matter what specialty. Please do your research next time you make these kind of statements.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2005 5:40pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guy has an opinion that you BJJers will disagree with. TR(oll) is a very traditionalist judoka who dislikes BJJ, females and water. IMO, he has misguided beliefs, but is too old and stubborn to be corrected.

http://judoforum.com/index.php?showtopic=7531

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2005 1:22am

supporting member
     Style: Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I voted yes cause although BJJ is a tried an proven system, unfortunately its gonna be victim to american commercialization an thats gonna be a factor in screwing up the art.

we will be seeing more and more Oily & Sweaty Bull-Jitsu Crapplers gracing the front covers of black belt magazine an showin up on the History Channel for documentaries.

Grandmaster Helio Gracie will sadly shake his head in Dismay as he sees his beloved art in the hands of Gothic Wiccan Harry Potter rejects who have converted from the ways of the ninja to the art of Bull-jitsu

Bull-jitsu will a part of the Koga curriculum as the prodigal "Ryu"

Tae Kwan Do,Karate an other Mcdojo-themed strikin arts will Eagerly jump on the Bull-jitsu bandwagon more so than they have already started.

It haaasss Beguuunnn..........

Chronicles of Shinobi-nostra-damus
    Chapter 5 verse 14

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    12/17/2005 10:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ is a clean avenue for addressing an integral part of real World fighting. The only ones who are working the "Fad of the Moment" angle are opportunistic assholes. They will all jump ship as soon as something else goes "high profile" ... the good ones will continue to be true to their chosen method.

The whole fad - McDojo thing is really more of a consumer problem than anything else. Dumbasses buy into dumbass **** ... no harm actually and a good fit for such idiots. Helps keep the "real" schools from being flooded out with a bunch of morons wasting the teacher's time and taking up mat space. The BEAST

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/18/2005 2:38am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The following is the Bjj nutrider quote of the decade:

Quote Originally Posted by JFS USA
    BJJ is a clean avenue for addressing an integral part of real World fighting. The BEAST
    It will be interesting to see if Bjj becomes watered down over time. As long as Bjj become no more specialized than it already is, it might persist in a semi-pure form until human augmentation makes MA, in the current context, obsolete.

I have heard a few Judo folks in the past complain about how everyone focuses on the 'sport' aspect of Judo rather than the 'street'. Just like Judo, one type of Bjj also features strikes, it's called vale tudo. However unless your instructor is crosstrained in a striking oriented art, it's doubtful that the striking part of his vale tudo program will be emphasized properly. My tangential point is that, unless Bjj adopts a ruleset that fosters any additional unrealistic street scenarios, we should remain viable for the forseeable future. Because quite frankly, as a Bjj guy who favors guard, I realize that if I end up in guard in a fight, somewhere, somehow, I screwed up.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    12/18/2005 11:39am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    The following is the Bjj nutrider quote of the decade:
    Bit ironic considering who I am and what I represent ... don't you think? The BEAST

:new_astha Emperor of the Doomed :new_astha

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/18/2005 1:16pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JFS USA
    Bit ironic considering who I am and what I represent ... don't you think? The BEAST

:new_astha Emperor of the Doomed :new_astha
    The irony is what makes it such a memorable quote. Having read some of your other posts that were, shall we say, less than positive about some practitioners of Bjj, the statement I quoted in my previous post confirms that you believe that Bjj has value as a close quarter MA, you just can't stand stupid nutriders. I have always understood that Bjj, in its sport ruleset, has limitations on the street.

I find it especially ironic that some of your posts on various threads discussing SPM have made me consider studying it, especially the ones wherein you talk about generating powerful strikes at very close ranges, something that would complement a Bjj player's game very well. Ironic because if you had asked me a year ago, would I consider taking any CMA, I would have said no. Mostly because I barely have enough time to train Bjj, much less any other MA, not because I look down on it. Some of your posts made me think I should make time for SPM. Besides,I don't have the knowledge base to look down on any MA's, except maybe the overly cultish ones.

Reading over my post it's clear to me that I need to read some Hemingway again, 'cause damn I'm unecessarily verbose.
    Last edited by jnp; 12/18/2005 1:19pm at . Reason: insert a transition
    Shut the hell up and train.

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    12/18/2005 5:05pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    The irony is what makes it such a memorable quote. Having read some of your other posts that were, shall we say, less than positive about some practitioners of Bjj, the statement I quoted in my previous post confirms that you believe that Bjj has value as a close quarter MA, you just can't stand stupid nutriders.
    BJJ contains an excellent solution set for certain problems. No sense in re-inventing the wheel when there is all ready something premium on line. That has always been the authentic traditional approach.

The bonds of style never really extended beyond political affiliation(s). No system or person would have survived long enough to qualify as "traditional" if their approach and mindset was as idiotic as that demonstrated by many over the last 30 years or so.

I find it especially ironic that some of your posts on various threads discussing SPM have made me consider studying it, especially the ones wherein you talk about generating powerful strikes at very close ranges, something that would complement a Bjj player's game very well. Ironic because if you had asked me a year ago, would I consider taking any CMA, I would have said no. Mostly because I barely have enough time to train Bjj, much less any other MA, not because I look down on it. Some of your posts made me think I should make time for SPM. Besides,I don't have the knowledge base to look down on any MA's, except maybe the overly cultish ones.
    Cool. Squeeze out some time and come visit me for a weekend ... bring plenty of recording medium. I'll load you up with all you will ever need to bring "short power" online. It's a prime skill for anyone ... with a skilled Grappler ... it's pure ambush for the sorry SOB that tied into him.

Reading over my post it's clear to me that I need to read some Hemingway again, 'cause damn I'm unecessarily verbose.
    "Brevity is the Soul of wit." W.S.

Posted On:
    12/18/2005 11:55pm

Style: Isshin Ryu Style Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes! BJJ sucks! DIM MAK FTW!

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    12/19/2005 6:36am

Bullshido Newbie