View Poll Results: Do you think BJJ is just a fad?

Voters
1015. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

350 34.48%
  • No.

665 65.52%
Page 6 of 90 First ... 23456789101656 ... Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In 1998 I was arguing that BJJ was not just a fad on rec martial arts.I said it had already been going a long time for a fad and that I hoped by the next century it will have outlasted the that insult.
    I now predict that in 2010 I'll be found somewhere on the next explaining that it's not a fad.
    For those who became aware of it and started training around 2000 it might seem like a fad, but to some of us it's been way too long.

I don't think it can be compared to the Ninjitsu fad or any of the others because those fads were different in that BJJ is not bullshit.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaychiu
    Not sure what you mean by fad but BJJ will be around for a long time. The UFC and Pride have proven you need ground skills and people will now always train in it.
    They have proven that you need to train ground skills to fight in the ring, not that you need to be a BJJ player. BJJ, IMHO, it the most influential martial art of the past decade (and will be for years to come). But it has lost some its edge as other fighters and other styles are catching on. How did the BJJ players (Terrell, Belfort) do against greco-roman and freestyle fighters in UFC51?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I voted no. I see it more as a phase.

Back in your momma's time, used to be the stand-up arts because martial arts was part of their jobs. People carried weapons, people fought wars. Bodyguards and soldiers could not afford to go to the ground.

Now, there's none of that nonsense and martial arts is more of a one to one thing. Hence, the rise in poplarity of BJJ.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction. Join us... or die
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good post. id +rep u if i knew how

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_fire

Back in your momma's time, used to be the stand-up arts because martial arts was part of their jobs. People carried weapons, people fought wars. Bodyguards and soldiers could not afford to go to the ground.

Now, there's none of that nonsense and martial arts is more of a one to one thing. Hence, the rise in poplarity of BJJ.
    There is certainly "none of that nonsense" in sport MMA, to which a good part of BJJ's popularity is tied.

However, your momma's time is now if you live or work in Gaza, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Columbia, Chechnya, etc.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
    TMA won't go the way of Wing Chung because not all of them suck.
    Just for the record WC doesnt suck

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nnnnn...k.....yeah....I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you about that.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ is definitely a FAD. And like others said it doesn't mean it will go away.

Breakdancing was a fad and its STILL around.

I look at it this way. BJJ is Judo's evil offspring. :evil3: At one point Judo was THE king of MA and it reigned for awhile. It go watered down as well to the point when you say BJJ comes form Judo you spark a 30 page flame war. BJJ is in danger of the samething, especially if it becomes an Olympic event.

All these things go in cycles. MMA is NOT new. Its been down before. It will decrease in popularity until some new aspect is brought in (I'm hoping for zero g fights! Lets see you go toe ground then!:toothy4:) But as lon as man has the need to choke the **** out of another man BJJ or something similar will be around.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by v1o
    Just for the record WC doesnt suck
    Survey says!!!! :5shocking
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel that in that sense it is a fad because it is currently popular as well as hyped, but not a fad in the derogtory(sp?) sense of the word. Judo and karate were fads too in their times and are still effective and still here.

Page 6 of 90 First ... 23456789101656 ... Last