218358 Bullies, 7575 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Do you think BJJ is just a fad?

Voters
1009. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    349 34.59%
  • No.

    660 65.41%
Results 461 to 470 of 894
Page 47 of 90 FirstFirst ... 374344454647 4849505157 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. HAPKO3 is offline
    HAPKO3's Avatar

    Marasmos

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    SF
    Posts
    4,054

    Posted On:
    2/16/2005 5:34pm

    supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are you talking about, you ignorant ****?
    You say what about my rice?
  2. Forseti is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    176

    Posted On:
    2/16/2005 5:35pm


     Style: Wrath

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aesop:

    You made a post. You claimed something very easily verifiable from the text within the post. I called you on it and your rebuttal is to go around with a bunch of snide retorts.

    Where is the direct answer to my post? Point to where I am contradicting myself in the long list of quoted text. Or at least argue how my statements at least suggest two opposite conclusions.

    While you and your clique seem rather impressed with these qwips of yours, those outside of your camp seem to have mixed reviews... Surely you can do better than that to a direct question about a specific statement you made and all contained on pages in these last two pages....
  3. Aesopian is offline

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,501

    Posted On:
    2/16/2005 5:39pm

    Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please restate your argument in 50 words or less and I will do my best to address it, once I get done installing the mind-control helmets on those who remain with free-thought.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 2/16/2005 5:41pm at .
  4. Full Circle is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    75

    Posted On:
    2/16/2005 5:39pm


     Style: Chicken Choking

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Forseti
    My point remains: a lot of newcomers would be a lot more indifferent to BJJ if they knew how similar it was to the original kosen judo.
    This is like saying that people would be indifferent to a knife if they knew how similiar it was to a sword. A rose by any other name could still gut you like a fish, see?
    Now I do conceed that people would become indifferent to BJJ if it was shown that the grappling used in tournaments was actually Wing Chun (ground based chi sao - very old lineage....Foshan based), and BJJ was just WWF in gi's....but it hasn't and it isn't....so I still find myself confused with your argument.
    The main problem I've found is that your argument has become so wide and encompassing that it's very easy to become lost in what you're trying to say. Whether it's because I'm stupid or not is irrelavent - you stance needs to be more focused and incremental.
  5. Jekyll is offline
    Jekyll's Avatar

    .

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau
    Posts
    2,086

    Posted On:
    2/16/2005 5:39pm

    supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hang on, isn't Forseti saying that;

    BJJ is no different to Kosen Judo.
    Kosen Judo faded into obscurity, being replaced by olympic judo.
    The same thing could happen to BJJ. ?

    A popular MMA scene should prevent groundfighting being phased out again though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.
  6. Forseti is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    176

    Posted On:
    2/16/2005 5:45pm


     Style: Wrath

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dochter
    Actually, he isn't twisting what you said at all. You probably forgot since you argued so many inconsistent things:

    Quote Originally Posted by Forseti
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    Forseti, let me see if I follow you.

    1. BJJ is a fad.
    2. BJJ is Kosen judo.

    So BJJ manages to be a widely popular AND an obscure form of judo at the same time?
    Yep. I don't know why its that confusing. BJJ is a popular fad that is little more than just a style of judo and when everyone catches on and realizes that it really isn't anything special, different or unique than what has always existed been available and even popular, they will realize that there is no particular reason to train in BJJ as opposed to something else (like judo). And the fad will have run its course.
    I really am curious about that teaching experience now.
    I really am curious about where I said "go take a Kosen judo class". I said they will go take something else (like judo). I don't even say "And so, they will take kodokan judo!" I didn't say they would take judo at all even -- I said they would take "something else". I did say that BJJ is Kosen Judo. And I still seems to me to be. I still think it is a fad along with a third of the people responding to this poll.

    You CAUGHT ME! Damn! The logic is undeniable!

    Just by the way, I also didn't say that "Kosen Judo is popular". I suggest that it was as I assume it was popular enough at one time if it made it into the history books. And this goes to another point I was making that seems to be the opposite of go take a widely available Kosen Judo class -- it was popular and no longer is....

    This just proves again that the only thing contradictory around here is mostly Aesopian's but also most of you guys' characterizations of what I say....
  7. Forseti is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    176

    Posted On:
    2/16/2005 5:46pm


     Style: Wrath

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    Please restate your argument in 50 words or less and I will do my best to address it, once I get done installing the mind-control helmets on those who remain with free-thought.
    Been there, done that.
  8. Aesopian is offline

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,501

    Posted On:
    2/16/2005 5:47pm

    Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Forseti
    Been there, done that.
    It failed. Try again.

    So all these prospective BJJers will learn that it's Kosen, and go "OH THE LIES!" and go do something else?

    Edit: And by something else, you seem to mean Kodokan, since you keep saying they will do it instead?
    Last edited by Aesopian; 2/16/2005 5:51pm at .
  9. HAPKO3 is offline
    HAPKO3's Avatar

    Marasmos

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    SF
    Posts
    4,054

    Posted On:
    2/16/2005 5:47pm

    supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Offtopic: I wonder why it is that I'm willing to put large amounts of money on the fact that Feorseti couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag? Anybody else get that feeling?
    You say what about my rice?
  10. HAPKO3 is offline
    HAPKO3's Avatar

    Marasmos

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    SF
    Posts
    4,054

    Posted On:
    2/16/2005 5:48pm

    supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Forseti
    Been there, made a pathetic attmept to do that.
    fixed.
    You say what about my rice?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.