223571 Bullies, 4179 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Do you think BJJ is just a fad?

Voters
1010. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

350 34.65%
  • No.

660 65.35%
Page 41 of 90 FirstFirst ... 313738394041 4243444551 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 12:34am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, your point was that if people knew that BJJ was similar or the same as Kosen, that they wouldn't feel special anymore and they'd all leave to do Kodokan Judo and so BJJ's popularity would wane.

Right?

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 12:35am

Style: fumoffu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ is now a fad but BJJ is not just a fad only~~~
    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
    - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 12:35am

Style: Wrath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    I suppose we got mixed up at the part where none of your enumerated point made any sense, or supported what you had been saying, and another 5 pages of discussion followed where you manage to counter and re-counter your enumerated points.
    And yet you seem unable to capture a few short sentences. You always leave something important out like either the popularity of BJJ or what I claim that popularity is based on. Of course, when you start leaving that out, you cannot possibly see what the relevance of what I say might be....

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 12:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Forseti
    I think it is mostly the newbies. Just like I said, I think the fad has run its course amongst the professionals. Again, the fad was the BJJ or go home attitude. Once the fad runs its course, there will still be a BJJ contingent. People will just be much more indifferent to it than before.
    So which well-known professional fighters are no longer training in BJJ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 12:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    No, your point was that if people knew that BJJ was similar or the same as Kosen, that they wouldn't feel special anymore and they'd all leave to do Kodokan Judo and so BJJ's popularity would wane.

Right?
    They don't have to leave. I',m not sayign that some black belt haveing done BJJ for ten years is going to leave "once they know the truth". My point is more like the newbie that can't wait to get into BJJ because they think its the real deal (and nothing else is) will not be there anymore. Oh, there will always be a vigilant few just liek there are wing chunners out there that think that wing chun is the real deal and nothing else is.

But there will be a whole lot fewer. Plus there will be even less speculation about what all BJJ has that no body else does by professional kickboxers, for instance, that don't know anything about grappling. And so on...

(I have gone into detail about this point several times before, as well.)

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 12:40am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, at least alter7nate was funny. Forseti is just a lonely Braziliaphobe.

P.S. If BJJ is a fad then why are all the young Japanese fighters ditching Judo for BJJ in rapidly increasing numbers?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 12:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by liuzg150181
    BJJ is now a fad but BJJ is not just a fad only~~~
    Well I did originally agree with the efficacy of BJJ, so I guess I do actually agree with this even though I seem to be the most reviled by the BJJers.

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 12:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forseti,
    Your point still doesn't make sense. You're saying that people will leave or not join BJJ because of it's similarity with Kosen, and so take up Kodokan - even though you've said there's a difference between BJJ and Kodokan. This doesn't make sense. It's like you're using the South Park "Wookie defense".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 12:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    Forseti,
    Your point still doesn't make sense. You're saying that people will leave or not join BJJ because of it's similarity with Kosen, and so take up Kodokan - even though you've said there's a difference between BJJ and Kodokan. This doesn't make sense. It's like you're using the South Park "Wookie defense".
    Doesn't make sense?? Oh no?? Really?

Seriously, though, I'm not saying that they will all find this out and go do kodokan. I'm saying they will do kodokan or sambo or some other thing. The reason that the alternative of judo is the most likely is just because of how prevalent kodokan judo is not because of the BJJ origins in judo. The judo origins of BJJ just dispell the mystique it has to people that don't really know about that.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 1:02am

supporting member
     Style: Street

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Forseti
    Doesn't make sense?? Oh no?? Really?

Seriously, though, I'm not saying that they will all find this out and go do kodokan. I'm saying they will do kodokan or sambo or some other thing. The reason that the alternative of judo is the most likely is just because of how prevalent kodokan judo is not because of the BJJ origins in judo. The judo origins of BJJ just dispell the mystique it has to people that don't really know about that.
    I would bet the average BJJ newbie

1. If he thinks about it all, believe the BJJ came from somewhere and Judo is as good a source as any.

2. The conection to older older style helps an MA's mythology, it doesn't hurt it.
    NextGuard = Paul from Atlanta

Ten years experience can be ten true years or one year repeated ten times.