221958 Bullies, 4301 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Do you think BJJ is just a fad?

Voters
1009. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

349 34.59%
  • No.

660 65.41%
Page 4 of 90 FirstFirst 1234 56781454 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Genius

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 5:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with KFDW for a change. To the media and general public, it's a fad. Then again, so is UFC and MMA. I wonder what the next martial arts fad to the public will be, dog-brothers?
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 5:58pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Gracie-Severn effect.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 6:00pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This discussion has been disgustingly civilized.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 6:13pm

supporting member
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you will always get guys who will jump on the band wagon - since it is so heavily promoted everywhere, all the guys who would have gone to Wing Tsun ten years ago will now go to BJJ.
    Problem is - not many will stay when they find out, that you have to put a lot of hard work in, it takes long to get better, 'cause it's technically complex, and it fuckin' hurts.
    Other than no-contact sparring.
    These guys will drop out and the numbers will go down.
    Interestingly - one of the local MMA/BJJ clubs now offers a discount if you bring a friend who signs up for a year.
    Didn't that used to be a TKD trick?

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 6:48pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Along with pretty much everyone else I'd like to think the nutriders will get bored, hopefully prices will drop as it gets less cool but that the grassroot movement will continue to swell.

There's a hell of a lot of room for expansion in europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 7:03pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    definately
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 7:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    In terms of it being a fad, I don't mean that it will disappear, but will be like kung fu, karate and ninjitsu in terms of a brief period of being mad popular as well as t3h dea4dly. Then common sense will kick in.
    Lately I've been wondering if you don't need a little refresher visit to Alliance.

The stress on efficacy, competition and the strong ties to mma events make most of people's concerns regarding bjj's staying ability pretty moot.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 7:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since I have no experience with BJJ as an overhyped MA (except for the internet, which I thank fully don't let control my daily life :P ) I voted no. BJJ has established itself all over the world perhaps because of a fad, but I don't think I should be so quick to label popularity a fad.

Why? Because I define it more like a fad is something that is extremely overrated and people without regard to their own capacity or their own knowledge of the "fad" itself keep joining. On second thought, if what I knew out there about clubs, was instead.. the internet.. then.. Well, let me say it like this. I think BJJ has an internet fad, to be quite honest. But I otherwise think that the system of BJJ is here to stay. And that it really isn't a fad.

Somehow I think I reasoned why I think what I do :P
    More human than human is our motto.

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 7:20pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly I don't think it is popular enough to be called a fad. Keep in mind the majority of the population has no idea who the Gracies are, what the difference between Pride and UFC is and most of them do not care. BJJ gets limited to serious students purely because of the amount of work, pain and potential for injury involved.

But for something to be a fad it has to be popular first. Pick 10 random people on the street and ask them who Royce Gracie is and most likely at least 9 will not know.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 7:31pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden
    Honestly I don't think it is popular enough to be called a fad. Keep in mind the majority of the population has no idea who the Gracies are, what the difference between Pride and UFC is and most of them do not care. BJJ gets limited to serious students purely because of the amount of work, pain and potential for injury involved.

But for something to be a fad it has to be popular first. Pick 10 random people on the street and ask them who Royce Gracie is and most likely at least 9 will not know.

I agree. I was talking to a guy and he asked me if I had any hobbies, and I mentioned BJJ. He goes, "What, does that mean they use blowdarts or something?"
    sudo make me a sandwich!
Page 4 of 90 FirstFirst 1234 56781454 ... LastLast