232567 Bullies, 4030 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Do you think BJJ is just a fad?

Voters
1012. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

350 34.58%
  • No.

662 65.42%
Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 123 45671353 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 4:46pm

Style: Aikido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's also not discount the possibility that the initial drop off some have mentioned, coupled with the expanding base of senior practiioners, could lead to price drops in what is generally a pretty expensive style. This could lead to a resurgence in the art.

I don't think it will overly succumb to mcdojoism. Sure there'll be a couple but how many judo mcdojos do we come across? The more likely problem isn't with BJJ mcdojos but with people with a smattering of BJJ integrating it into their own arts. Claiming to teach the d3adly grapple but shielded from the testing by not being a BJJ school as such, so not competing in tourneys, maybe not even doing a lot of sparring.

There is a danger of it being watered down. All ready we see competition where certain things a disallowed - leglocks etc. As the base of students grows, and there are more competitions, there'll be more injuries, and potentially more rule changes as a result. Without wanting to spark the whole "BJJ is just judo" debate, it is conceivalbe that in 50 or 75 yrs someone comes out with a cool new art which looks pretty close to BJJ before it got changed by changing competition rules.

Host-Personal Defense TV

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 4:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If by "fad" you mean "That which will always 0Wn" then YES its a fad.

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 5:08pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristeia

There is a danger of it being watered down. All ready we see competition where certain things a disallowed - leglocks etc. As the base of students grows, and there are more competitions, there'll be more injuries, and potentially more rule changes as a result. Without wanting to spark the whole "BJJ is just judo" debate, it is conceivalbe that in 50 or 75 yrs someone comes out with a cool new art which looks pretty close to BJJ before it got changed by changing competition rules.

Actually I disagree with you in the case that rules have been more relaxed in recent years. It used to be that leglocks were disallowed in competition but with the advent of ADCC and BJJ fighters being exposed to Sambo fighters the restrictions were eased on leglocks (well, as far as I can tell here in the U.S.). In the last tournament experience from 0-6 months leglocks weren't allowed, from 6-12 you can use a straight leglock (ie. Achillies hold). Then from blue belt and up I believe you can use stuff like kneebars. Granted, we can't use stuff like neck cracks in competition (runs the risk of people being stupid and not tapping out in time to the crank) but they're still taught and allowed in randori.

I think what leads to "fads" in martial arts is mysticism. Kung Fu back in the 70's and Ninjitsu back in the 80's. These were times when there was a stigmata on questioning a teacher, and no real venues to test what techniques work. So people easily fell for "death touches" and "ki". These days, with MMA around a good art won't have any choice but to show that what they teach works. So yes, maybe the popularity is going to end up wanning, but to completely fall off the map? I don't think so personally.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 5:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    Its popularity has been fading slowly but surely already in some parts.
    This in itself is not a horrible thing, serious students will always stay with it and when it becomes less of a "fad" it may even attract serious students from other systems who don't wann be part of the whole "NHB" stigma.

So, IF it is a FAd, that is not a bad thing, if it isn't, its all good.

Personally, I would be on the watch for the next big thing in the MA :
    Ethiopian Sumo
    Jamaican Kenpo
    Himalayian Pankration
    Iranian Crop dusting
    Maybe you missed the memo, but it's been decided by peer review that nothing you just said was funny.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 5:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it is a bit trendy, but I voted no its not a fad, because it is more of a revolution of two arts that were already very good: Japanese JJ, and Judo.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 5:27pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to formally ask W00tang Warrior and Jeice what reasoning brought them to their choice.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 5:28pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Yes, the Gracies are badass. You however, are not.

Aww, time to suicide self :(

Genius

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 5:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's no fad, probably because it works. I don't see it stop working anytime in the future. BJJ also does what all martial arts should do but few actually do, it evolves.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 5:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as MA in the public eye, EVERYTHING is a fad. Whatever gets posted into the media that year will be the flavor of the month. Only us 1% of the poulation that do MA really care. The rest have no clue about MA besides what they catch on TV.

A MA fad , no.

A media fad, if they know at all, yes.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 5:55pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It will continue to be a predominate player in submission grappling and mma.
Page 3 of 90 FirstFirst 123 45671353 ... LastLast