Taking a break

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 4:59am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Blood loss

What are the pro's and cons of training 24 to 72 hours after donating blood? What sort of exercises should be avoided and which should be encouraged?
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 6:04am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    24 to 72 hours after shouldn't be too much of a problem, unless you gave an unusually large amount of blood. The major issue is that the lower volume of blood means that less of the vital stuff (primarily oxygen and blood sugar) is getting to your cells. People frequently feel fatigued for the majority of the day that they give because of this reason. This is also the reason that blood donation places often give out cookies or something like that right afterward, to get the blood sugar up.

I would say that as long as you're not feeling the fatigue, that you should be able to exercise relatively normally. If you're concerned, lower the intensity some. If you were to avoid any type of exercise, I would say to avoid high intensity resistance training. The reason being that resistance training causes a significant elevation in blood pressure in the area you're working. If your blood volume is low, this could cause an unsafe drop in the amount of blood elsewhere in your body, particularly your brain, which could cause you to feel woozy or pass out. I would also recommend keeping any cardio to a lower intensity, and allow a longer warm up and cool down period. The reason here is that intense bursts of cardio cause significant blood "pooling" in the muscles you're using (often the legs, since most people do running or cycling or something of the sort). Again, this could potentially pose a problem if the blood volume is low.

Basic Advice: Listen to your body. If you're worried about it, start slow and increase your pace gradually until you find a limit. If you feel lightheaded, woozy or dizzy, stop what you're doing and (if you're lifting), take a walk around (as opposed to just sitting down) to allow your heart rate to gradually come down, instead of just drop. If you were doing cardio and felt this... cut your intensity in half for a little while, and then gradually slow to a stop.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Taking a break

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 6:29am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reason I asked was that at BJJ last night (24 hours after giving a pint) I hit the exhaustion point pretty quickly. Fortunately I never felt woozy.
    I'll give the weights a miss for a few days though.
    Cheers.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Isolated and Confused

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 6:33am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Assuming you follow standard advice and drink plenty of fluids after donation your circulating blood volume will return to normal in a few hours. However your red blood cell (RBC) and platelet levels will remain low for up to a few weeks. That will probably mean that you get gassed faster than normal and it might mean that if you get cut you bleed for a bit longer than normal.

However aerobic training should stimulate RBC production and cause a quicker return to normal than sitting around doing nothing.
    Failing to become awesome since 1976