Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2005 9:18am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hydrocarbon debate from protein faq

Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    I read an article about a "theory" that , when man started to eat meat and got away from his "agricultural" diet, he started to "evolve".
    I can't recall the whole thing but, meat MAY have been a factor for man's increase in brain size, him standing erect and all that.
    I found that theory interesting, I wish I could remember where I read it...
    I don't think that sounds quite right, because agriculture came way after upright posture in the evolutionary timeline. Agriculture was invented by anatomically modern humans sometime in the last 50,000 years. Standing erect came hundreds of thousands ago to fur-covered creatures that had brains much smaller than modern humans and weren't much better with tools than modern Bonobo chimps (i.e. no fire, no spears, can use twigs to get termites out of a log).

IIRC, the change you're suggesting in brain size did happen around the time we started ingesting meat, but that happened way before agriculture. Once agriculture was discovered, people actually got a little smaller in average stature and brain size than their hunter-gatherer ancestors, because of the drop in protein.

Subsituting gathered berries and freshly caught meat and fish is safer and more reliable, but it doesn't provide the atheletic development and high-quality protein intake that the hunter-gatherer lifestyle did.

As an aside, a notable trait of ruling 'nobility' castes from societies round the globe is that they tend to eat more meat than the 'peasants' they rule over, practice hunting as a recreation and tend to be taller and stronger than the average 'peasant farmer'. This was as true in feudal Japan as it was in mediaeval europe.

Cults still commonly use protein-deficient diets to help them induce a state of passive 'suggestability' in their new members.

To me, the rib-eye steak, rack of venison or fried chicken, garnished with a sauce of berries, alcohol and/or fiery peppers is a symbol of freedom and personal dignity. :icon_tong

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2005 9:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "kohlenwasserstoffkette"(i dont know the english word, sorry ... basically a chain of C-thingys with H-thingys attached).
    The word is 'hydrocarbon', from 'Hyrdrogen' and 'Carbon'.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 10:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunnewbie
    The word is 'hydrocarbon', from 'Hyrdrogen' and 'Carbon'.
    Sure about that chief? Since we're talking nutrition it sounds to me more like a "carbohydrate". Same roots. Hydrocarbons tend to be little circles. Carbohydrates are the long chains.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 6:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    Sure about that chief? Since we're talking nutrition it sounds to me more like a "carbohydrate". Same roots. Hydrocarbons tend to be little circles. Carbohydrates are the long chains.
    You could well be right. I translated it to 'hydrocarbon' based on the description of 'long chain of carbon and hydrogen-thingies'. Agree that carbs generally come in linked rings (which always include carbon, hydrogen and oxygen atoms)

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 6:15am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One other small point. The original quote seemed to imply that agriculture meant a more vegetarian diet. Not true.... agriculture is basically the raising of food, period. Both veggies and meat.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel