Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 3:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi,
    Thanks to everyone who posted answers to my question :-)

I just came back today from a Wing Chun demo held by 2 schools. It looked really good, their demonstrations looked very practical. I almost signed up at the end until this little guy asked some questions about Wing Chun, something about their footwork.

Anyway, one of the guys doing the demo (one of the senior students) asked the little guy to come up and show them what they were doing wrong. He went up and did some odd shuffling and other hand movements and the senior student didn't look happy.

At the end of the demo, the student and the other guy did some sparring and woah, the student got his butt kicked. The teacher then asked to do some sticky hands (what is this??) and OMG, i've never seen someone get devastated so quickly.

I asked the little guy what style he did on the way out and if he taught, he said it was "Wing Tsun" but he didn't teach to everybody (?!) What is this? It looked kinda like Wing Chun but different.

Why did it beat Wing Chun so fast? Is this worth learning?

Sorry for all the questions but hey, you guys know about this stuff.

Thanks again.

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 3:15pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what's that stench? oh it's politics!!!

--

Let me introduce you to my friends: Hand, Elbow and Knee.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 3:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wing Tsun are obsessive with sticky hands. Only thing different is how they train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 3:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience WT is better; it at least attempts to cover all ranges, and it's grappling is influenced by other styles, and you learn some techniques from other styles to test your WT against them.

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 3:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think guest and bncwd will have someting to say about this.....I think WT is more of a moderniszed version, with emphasis on self defence and looking to see what other styles were made of.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 3:23pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'll ask my Sifu tonight......as repulsed by politics as i am

--

Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 3:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They both claim a more complete Yip Man lineage than the other. I think Wing Tsun has cooler T-shirts.

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 5:53pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    maybe i won't ask my sifu tonight, i don't care really

--

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 6:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I'll just find a sifu and ask him myself then.

--------
    What would happen if a one hand clapper attempted to stop a tree falling in the woods when no one else was around?
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah.

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 6:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Buffalo Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hwailin, do you know by any chance if the people running the Wing Chun seminar were of a William Cheung lineage? If so it would make perfect sense.

Cheung uses Wing Chun and Leung Ting uses Wing Tsun. Both claim to be closed door students of ip man, and he showed the real system of wing chun to them, and both claim to be the soul inhereters of the system. Of course what's true and what's not is blocked by politics politics politics.

Ip Man learned Wing Chun from Chan Wah Shun. Rumor has it that since Chan Wah Shun was bigger than Leung Chan's son, Leung Chan didn't show him the foot work of the system to give his sons a fighting chance, other version is that since Chan Wah Shun was outside of the Leaung family that he was privilage to all the information that Leung Chan's showed his sons. Anyways, Chan Wah Shun size allowed him to beat the Leung brothers and ran them out of town after their father's death. When Ip Man found Leung Bik in Hong Kong he learned the complete system from him including the footwork, went back and beet his kung fu brothers in Futshun (or however you wanna spell it). William Cheung claims that Ip Man only taught the way he learned from Chan Wah Shun, but only showed William the correct footwork he learned from Leaung Bik.

Leaung Ting as well claimed he was a close door student, but from what I've heard and what I've scene it looks like he only calls his system Wing Tsun to be different from the wrest of the world and to do his own thing.

"But some apes they gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Ape shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast