Posted On:
    2/10/2005 5:23am

supporting member
     Style: TCC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pa-Kua ??

http://www.pakua.org/

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed earlier, but I ran a forum search and didnt find anything regarding this school.

Anybody familiar with this organization? I snooped around the site for a bit and a few things (actually a lot of things) just dont add up. Like since when did they start teaching nunchucks in bagua?

Im hesitant to call bullshido being that im relatively new here, so I'm hoping that some of our more seasoned brethren would deliver a verdict on this one.

Sociocidal sociocider

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 7:15am

Style: Currently a SAMBO newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They suck...I believe Emptyflower has more detailed insults
    Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil. - Machiavelli

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 7:55am

Style: Tai Chi Chuan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had a little exposure to Bagua, but am certainly no expert. But I think even I can see some warning signs (I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable forum members will soon let us know if I'm wrong....)
    Isn't Bagua (or Pa Kua) famous for it's oversized weapons (broadsword, jian and pole)? Strange that there's no mention of these in their list of traditional weapons. Also - the weapons work going on there seems very linear to me.
    I'd love to see the video's - but that's going to have to wait till I get home...

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 8:02am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bagua is also famous for NOT BEING JAPANESE.

Looks like a shitty little karate school to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 8:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At emptyflower they are second only to SifuZ. SifuZ gets roughly one threa/month specially devoted to ridiculing him. He is like out own little Ashida Kim.

This pakua.org is a close second but they lack the abundance of goofy pictures to make fun of so it takes more work to get worked up over their stupidity. I'm personally find of this certificate he displays so proudly on his site:

It makes no sense at all. The first half is written in the first person. Since when do certificates of transmission start off, "I am the only disciple of...." Second, the grammar is ****. 3rd, the last "sentence" is illegible to foreigners and Chinese alike. I have showed it to native Chinese, people who speak Cantonese and attempted to decode it myself. It strikes me as the kind of thing that happens when you try to use a dictionary to write in a foreign language. Maybe if I used spainish grammar to decode it it would make sense.

I tried to find our thread where we dicussed the legal ramifications of giving a beatdown to . . ..waitasec, check this out:

Pakua Martial Arts 7914 Valley View
    Buena Park, CA 90620
    714-522-7776
    Master Michael Jackson
    http://www.pakua.org/school/northamerica.htm

I heard pakua was known for it's footwork but I had no idea the king of pop was behind it all.....
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 10:27am

Style: Kosho Ryu Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To get an idea of real Ba Gua and Internal Martial Arts check out www.chi-arts.com. I've personally trained with Shrfu Bracey on a few occassions. This guy is the real deal, as they say.

If you ever get a chance to meet him I highly suggest you do. He doesn't throw his chi or anything like that. (at least he's never done it or even talked about it in any class I've taken with him) But he can do some amazing 1 inch type strikes that will impress the most skeptical people, IMO.

And I will testify that after a one hour private lesson I was able to generate a whole lot more power out of my strikes. No, I don't do chi/ki blast! lol! But I will honestly say that with his help in getting me to understand how to better align my body, I can strike with a great deal more power.

-John (not a Ba Gua practitioner - just open-minded)

Taking a break

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 10:54am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While on the subject - has anyone else come across Aarvo Tucker?
    A few years ago I spent a weekend seminar with him.
    The guy can't teach, and the guys skills are distinctly mediocre. On the plus side, he never mentioned Chi.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 12:09pm

Style: Shaolin Kung-fu, FMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just another tragic example of the idiots that incorrect martial arts training can produce.

The weapons are not Chinese weapons, the gis and hakamas(sp?) are clearly not Chinese...it's just all wrong. :hmh:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 1:53pm

supporting member
     Style: TCC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    I heard pakua was known for it's footwork but I had no idea the king of pop was behind it all.....
    [/size][/font]
    Pakua Martial Arts - Disneyland
    Chapman 1038
    Anaheim, CA
    714-748-4374

The Sifu of this location wears white gloves and likes little kids too!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2005 7:47am

Style: Tai Chi Chuan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHarber
    While on the subject - has anyone else come across Aarvo Tucker?
    A few years ago I spent a weekend seminar with him.
    The guy can't teach, and the guys skills are distinctly mediocre. On the plus side, he never mentioned Chi.
    I know of Aarvo Tucker. He teaches Tai Chi (Chen Man Ch'ing style) and Bagua once a month in Manchester, and no doubt elsewhere around the UK - although I hear he's leaving the country soon. He's trained with some fairly senior CMC Tai Chi people and certainly has a good reputation for this art. I don't know much about his Bagua though, although based on his reputation I would expect him to be pretty reasonable.

I attended one of his tai chi classes last year. It was a reasonable enough class, although I didn't feel I saw enough to come to any real conclusions about him as a teacher, and with only one opportunity a month (at most) to train with him other commitments got in the way. From talking to some of his students I get the impression that his attitude to teaching is that he guages how prepared you are to listen and learn from him and, based upon this, either teaches you properly or just lets you pay your money and train...

Here's a couple of web-pages with a bit of useful info on Aarvo and his Bagua...

http://www.taichichuan-cornelia.com/e/school.html#Aarvo
    http://www.taichicaledonia.com/resou...arvo-Luigi.pdf
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast