Sponsored Links Spacer Image

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 7:45am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I eat haggis and english pies. I've even been seen at macdonalds on occasion. There is very little you can eat which will desturb me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 8:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't hagis blood and English pies kidneys? I'm just fishing for examples to show this is not some fluke of Chinese culture. The fluke is the thing where we just cut out our favorite parts and throw the rest away.

Xango,

The Baji tradition of eating lots of tendons and tendonous meat is because Baji is rough on the joints and tendons so.... but you know, it sounds kind of superstitious. But sometimes these things pan out and my recent web research seems to show a lot of western health supplements, diet dealios and various other research seems to be going into "dietary collagen supplements" for just that reason and collagen is what tendons are made of.

I wouldn't worry about steaming them and all that. It's not like I'm gonna cook up a plate at home. It's just one of those things I get served from time to time. I just got back from Shifu's house where I dined on steamed buns, smoked intestines, baked pigs liver, big amazingly fatty strips of pork and some assorted other more ordinary meats likr roast chicken and beef. Washed it down with about 4 beers and headed home. We also had marinated lotus root for our vegetable but not much else. Pretty sparse actually by local standards but then it was just me and Shifu.

He made an interesting point though about the "hu lo tou" that we eat after workout a lot. That's a thiung where you shred a bunch of little flatbreads into a big bowl and then the kitcken fills it with a spicy broth, rice noodles, cilantro and a bunch of intestines. He said that the main nutrition isn't even from the intestines but from the soup they give us. Aside from the soup in the bowl we usually wash it down with a broth made from the pigs bones. The cook it so that the stuff from the bones makes the broth milky white. I don't know what 's in meat broth like that nutritionally but he insists it's super good for you.

Thing is, his diet advice is totally non-scientific in its theoretical base but I can't deny that it's done wonders for me. And even if I analyze it by western standards it's still a HELL of a lot better than what I used to eat in the US. Even if it is high in fat and cholesterol and involves drinking beer with at least one meal a day, usually two....heck, I expect the beer is better than the coke I used to drink with meals and the cholesterol is probably balanced out by eating about 4 times as many veggies as before, lots more meat but less carbs and the fact that I am convinced that eating all the wierd **** means at least my diet has DIVERSITY so I end up gettting a lot of random nutrients that I probably would have needed supplements for before.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Taking a break

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 8:38am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The english will eat some pretty disgusting things.
    Haggis is the heart, lungs and liver of a sheep wrapped in its own stomach. Very tasty.
    English pies cover a whiole variety of things. Steak And Kidney Pie is a common one. However, we have the famous generic "Meat Pie", which is almost always grey, gristly and totally unidentifiable. This is mainly because it comes from mechanicaly reclaimed meat (get a carcass, use a high pressure steam hose to remove everything from it).
    Other favourites are Tripe (the stomach lining of a cow, normally served with vinegar), cows udder (which looks truely repellent), pigs trotters and scratchings (deep fried pig skin, which if you're lucky, has been well shaved).
    Jellied Eels are a true delight (chunks of blubber smothered in fat) that I'm never going to forgive my father for.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 8:38am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a friend who spent a month in China on some sort of cultural exchange. She's a John Hopkins U. student, and about 20 other students went along with her. A lot of these students were Southerners who had rarely left home or otherwise insular people who didn't "get out" much.

Their first setback was their inability to use chopsticks.

Then once they managed to do it, they didn't even want to THINK about eating the food they were served, because it was so alien and strange to then. Obviously, we're not talking beef teriyaki or sweet and sour chicken here; we're talking about what Omar mentioned.

Their only recourse was to eat KFC fast food all the time. They even bought some and took it into restaurants with them.

How sad. :(

-EDIT-

Hell, I take **** from my family because I like to crack open chicken bones and eat the marrow. I'm up for pretty much anything.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 8:43am

Style: Waylaying

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't know why americans obviously shun food like blood, various intestines, etc... i was under the impre4ssion that all cultures in the world eat this stuff.

some examples from germany:

blutwurst (blood sausage)
    leberwurst (liver sausage)
    saumagen (pig stomach)
    saures lüngerl (cow lung, i think. it's damn tasty.)

there are also dishes with raw fish in places near the sea (not sushi, but very tasty nonetheless)

oh, and omar, try the blood... blood sausages give me a high energy boost, maybe you'll feel the same.

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 8:46am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't forget black sausage... Congealed blood(preferably with garlic).
    The problem I have with hagis is the strange stuffing that makes it taste like you're eating an old and dusty carpet.

Edit: and once again I post increadably slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 8:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i never tried haggis, because i heard all kinds of horror stories about the taste

but black sausage/black pudding is the same as blutwurst iirc.

so, the question is again: does the majority of north americans not eat this stuff?

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 8:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Billy Havoc,

I HAVE tried the blood. The flavour is pretty innocuous really. It's decent when buried in enourmous quantities of dried red peppers and Chinese peppercorns but I am Jewish. This means technically I shouldn't eat hardly anything I am ever served here but I was never that strict about Kosher anyways and always tried to indulge my hosts. However, part of my loos adherance to my religion involves reading the bible and getting things in context and making my own decisions about the rules. Not all dietary rules are lumped together and I believe the prohibition against eating blood is vastly more serious than the ones about which animals you can or can't eat. The simbolism hits me strong and so I don't eat blood. But my GF gets a major craving for it every time it is "her time"...coincidence?....

I'm also glad the English piped up here and showed that it is NOT such a distinctly Chinese trait to eat the whole animal and that it's jsut Americans who are prudes about this. I have learned to laugh about how we don't even like to admit we are eating animals at all. We see "cows" grazing but we eat "beef". Animals that are alive have "stomachs" but we eat "tripe". Baby cows are "veal" and Chicken becomes "poultry". Not in Chinese. Living and breathing and on your plate it's the same word for pretty much everything.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 9:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oops, sorry, didn't know you were jewish. please ignore my ramblings about blood, then. :icon_redf

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 9:18am

Style: Sleeping / Studying

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHarber
    The english will eat some pretty disgusting things.
    Haggis is the heart, lungs and liver of a sheep wrapped in its own stomach. Very tasty.
    English pies cover a whiole variety of things. Steak And Kidney Pie is a common one. However, we have the famous generic "Meat Pie", which is almost always grey, gristly and totally unidentifiable. This is mainly because it comes from mechanicaly reclaimed meat (get a carcass, use a high pressure steam hose to remove everything from it).
    Other favourites are Tripe (the stomach lining of a cow, normally served with vinegar), cows udder (which looks truely repellent), pigs trotters and scratchings (deep fried pig skin, which if you're lucky, has been well shaved).
    Jellied Eels are a true delight (chunks of blubber smothered in fat) that I'm never going to forgive my father for.
    Don't forget fried Mars Chocolate Bars
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast