OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    2/09/2005 5:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help Aaron get his Internet back!

So I own an Apple, a G4 Powerbook running Mac OS X ver. 10.3.7. I have a wireless Internet connection via Comcast. the other day I took my computer to school to work on an editing project, and when I got home my Internet no longer worked.

NOW. Here's the catch. My stepbrother has a computer in my house, uses the same router/modem as me, and he's receiving a signal just fine. And my computer works just fine at the library, so it's not my computer. I called Comcast's tech support, and according to them, they ARE receiving...something from me. I don't know what. Some signal. I don't speak computer. All I know is, according to Comcast everything at home is hooked up right.

So I call tech support, like I said, and they can't help. They tell me to go to System preferences, Network. Click "Show", "Built-in Ethernet". The problem, they say, is that I have no IP address. None, not even a generic number. Apparently I SHOULD be able to just click the "Renew DHCP" which should release my IP address, but when I click the button, nothing happens. I mean, it turns blue and all, but it doesn't actually do anything.

I called Apple's Tech Support and they refused to talk to me unless I purchased a $300 extended warranty. Dearest Apple, **** you. Sincerely, Boyd.

So no one knows what the **** is going on, least of all me. Does anyone here have any idea what the problem might be? I'm almost positive the answer lies in this mysterious "Renew DHCP" button.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    2/09/2005 6:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It involves stroking a cheque for the extended warranty or saying "Hello Dell".

Posted On:
    2/09/2005 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Copy down all the netowrk settings on your stepbrother's computer, then get the equivalent settings on yours. This includes wireless SSID and encryption keys from your router. DO NOT POST THOSE HERE. PM all your stuff to me and I will try to help you out (I have no access to AIM until I leave the labs).

Comcast is likely getting something from you because you have that router hooked up. It's likely the wireless connection got screwed up when it connected to the school network.

Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    It involves stroking a cheque for the extended warranty or saying "Hello Dell".
    You are not at my level.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    2/09/2005 7:04pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never even looked at a MAC, but is the ethernet card hooked in right? To me, not getting an IP means there is nothing for an IP to get....

I dunno. I'm hungry, I'll think about this later. After someone has already found an answer.

PL

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    2/09/2005 7:43pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was wondering about this, I had a similar problem with my g/f's wireless conection. Is there a manual switch on the case for wireless and is it turned on?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    2/09/2005 11:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath

You are not at my level.

Nope. I just make enough cash that I pay guys like you to know what you know.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 2:16am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another thing to consider.... when you go into System Prefs, in the Network section, after you select Ehternet and click configure, there should be a button (in the same row where it says TCP/IP, PPPoE and all that....), that says 'Ethernet'. Make sure it's set to configure automatically instead of manually, so that clicking your Renew DHCP does something automatically, instead of waiting for manual input.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

wants jade ring

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 3:12am

supporting member
     Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Happy to help. I accept all major credit cards and charge a reasonable $199 for lifetime tech support.

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 2:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    Copy down all the netowrk settings on your stepbrother's computer, then get the equivalent settings on yours. This includes wireless SSID and encryption keys from your router. DO NOT POST THOSE HERE. PM all your stuff to me and I will try to help you out (I have no access to AIM until I leave the labs).

Comcast is likely getting something from you because you have that router hooked up. It's likely the wireless connection got screwed up when it connected to the school network.

You are not at my level.
    Comcast is receiving something from me; according to them, everything is hooked up properly. But my school doesn't have a network, I just brought it over to do some editing. What else do you think it could be? Also, where could I get the network settings our computers, and what exactly would be the relevant information?
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    2/10/2005 2:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    Nope. I just make enough cash that I pay guys like you to know what you know.
    And yet you still can't afford real BJJ lessons.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast