Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/09/2005 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatdown Richie
    On a similar note, has anyone had luck with Ezekiel chokes in no-gi?
    For me it devolves into a forearm crunch on their neck. Like any ezekiel (well not any but whatever) turn your head toward their elbow and you're fine.

If you can actually get your top hand anywhere near your bottom arm's elbow it has more pressure than it would with a gi, though much easier to escape.

Aesopian, sounds a lot like "squeezing the loaf" from within guard. I started doing that (based on what JohnnyS said) and then my instructor had to go and teach everyone. Fun though if you've got weight on the guy and are stacking him a bit too.

Posted On:
    2/09/2005 11:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    Besides, Shuma mentioned it to me a couple of weeks ago.
    Well, the knuckles don't go into the trachea on the version I was shown. The fleshy part of the fist (used for hammerfist strikes) should be driving into the one carotid and the back of the sleeve-gripping hand should be on the other.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/09/2005 6:36pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The dreaded fist Ezekial owns.

Especially good to do on newbies. You know, to give them that sore throat for a week. Really sets in the Alpha factor of - tap quick everytime I put something on you fucker, that way I don't have to work so hard next time as you will fear the lasting pain~

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 5:42pm

Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anybody seen the ezekial from rear mount....its a good variation.

Host-Personal Defense TV

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 7:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try this No-gi variation:

1. Get mount.

2. With your right shell hand grab the right side of his trap muscle at the base of his neck (his right).

3. Angle your right forearm in front of his neck flush to his chest.

4. With your left arm, go around the back of his head and neck and grab your own (right) forearm (shell hand) making sure his neck is vice clamped.

5. Push and pull to choke squeezing the two sides of the neck.

This offers much more control.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 9:03pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Btw, it's called the ezekiel due to a Judoka going around the BJJ academies in Brazil and choking ppl out with it.

I find it interesting and quite humourous that 2 BJJ technique names are so named after Judoka.

1. Ezekiel
    2. Kimura
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Posted On:
    2/12/2005 9:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Btw, it's called the ezekiel due to a Judoka going around the BJJ academies in Brazil and choking ppl out with it.

I find it interesting and quite humourous that 2 BJJ technique names are so named after Judoka.

1. Ezekiel
    2. Kimura
    [img-timeline]

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/14/2005 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For those of you that enjoy trivia, the Ezekial is indeed named after a Judoka who schooled a lot of BJJ guys with it.

There is nothing really unique about this choke, the sleeve wheel has been around a long time.

But when Ezekial went around to the BJJ schools you have to get a clear mental picture. Most Brazilians are small/medium sized guys. Ezekial was a big dude. But not just a big dude, he had incredible forearms/grip strength from years of Judo.

He wouldn't try to pass the guard and get caught in a submission. He would just crank the sleeve wheel on with fury. A lot of BJJ guys were taken offguard as this was not standard practice. The guy on top is supposed to PASS the guard, not submit people from inside it. He became notorious for it. And, like the Kimura the technique was nicknamed after him.

BTW, I won gold in my 2nd tournament as a whitebelt by choking a guy unconscious with this technique. It's fuckin owny if they aren't familiar with it. And, as if it were poetic irony - I was choked unconscious with it 6 months later in training. I actually swept the guy and landed in mount preparing to switch to the armbar just as I passed out. It was funny.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    2/14/2005 1:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Anthony and Yrkoon. Didn't know that.

I'd like to repeat this line too though: "whore the Ezekiel like 4-month white belts".
    At the one throwdown I went to I was a 4 month white belt and got the ezekiel around a dozen times. Probably one of the easiest and more painful subs you learn.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2005 9:25pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mean Jeff teaches a special "Mean Move" every class and I thought you would appreciate some of them.

If you are trying for an armbar from mount and have lapel control, but they hold their hands, put your fist on their neck and lift yourself by it. Get the armbar when they spazz to stop the "choke".

Or, rather than stepping on their far arm with the inside foot to break their grip, step on their throat.

When trying for the armbar, repeatedly slam their head with the leg on their face.

If you start using these one your training buddies, you didn't learn them from me. :eusa_shhh
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast