Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2005 2:50pm

Style: MT, BJJ, VT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rehab/physical therapy and steriods

Ok, so I got into a car accident and broke my ankle in two places. They operated on it and I will hopefully have the cast off in 4.5 more weeks after which I will have a boot on for awhile. While all of this is happenning, my right leg muscles will have atropohied to nothing.

When they took the splint off last week to put the cast on, my right calf was 2/3rd the size of my left one with literally no muscle tone left. Now I am noticing my right quads/hams shrinking too. Before this, I had pretty muscular legs with great definition.

So, my question: I know that some cases of physical therapy/rehab for stuff like this prescribe steriods. I want to know who this has happenned to and what they prescribed? Also, what effects/after-effects?

Thanks in advance.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2005 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm guessing they'd only prescribe 'roids for the otherwise infirm. Not healthy young males.

Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    2/08/2005 11:50pm

supporting member
     Style: American Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just got my cast off after a month and my calf muscle was pretty much shriveled to nothing. All they did for me was give me an air splint and told me that walking on it, if comfortable, was the best way to get it back up. My doctor told me that if I could not walk on it then to get in a pool or warm bath and move it around in there. The calf muscle is coming back fairly quickly. My biggest problem is the tendons. They get sore easily and have a hard time moving the foot. I don't know how much of this will ring true with you though considering how much more extensive your break sounds. Either way good luck with your recovery.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2005 10:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the responses... looks like they will probably not prescribe 'roids for me either. I had soem screws and a plte (I think) put into my leg.

I am tempted to juice (never done it before) but then, the tendons will probably be sore like you very easily and I will just create too much load on the leg... gah!

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    2/11/2005 6:24am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is your leg still immobilized? If so, there would be no point in doing steroids anyway. Steroids aren't magic muscle makers. Basically they increase the amount of testosterone in the body, which allows for faster muscle growth. But you still have to work the muscles in order to stimulate growth.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2005 5:37pm

Style: jazz hands

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't take roids, especially if you are recovering from an injury and have imbalances in strength btwn right and left.
    Your tendons are probably weaker from the atrophy. The roids will make your muscles bigger and stronger but your tendons will remain the same, maybe even get stiff and brittle. You'll be likely to re-injure your ankle b/c of this.
    Just do your rehab and train the weak leg really hard for a long time until it is as strong or stronger than the good leg.
    work on slow negatives

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 4:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks... I am not going to do 'roids in any case. I was just curious. It will be a while, but I will get that damn leg up to speed!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 5:04pm

Style: jazz hands

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good
    I'm recovering from ankle surgery too. Running colapse, of all things. Mine was not as bad as yours, but they did have to cut out a good chunk of cartilage.

Im using the rehab time to do more upper body weight lifting. Doing ALOT of balance work on the bad leg. Things like standing one leg on a piece of foam or a pillow while playing catch w/ a football and/or medicine ball. Standing on one leg while tossing something heavy from hand to hand. Standing on the bad leg while doing slow kicks.
    Stuff like that, it's working too.

Good Luck w/ your recovery.

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 7:16pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I doubt your muslce has that much atrophy. Don't worry about it, your body will compensate and if you just work out they will even out.

Of course work out after your ankle is healed.
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    2/16/2005 7:45pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    Of course work out after your ankle is healed.
    Good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master
    Work out for the rest of your life
    Better advice.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast